Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rsamuels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Marriage & Debt
    I'm getting married in 6 months, however I just found out that my future husband has some debt occurring with some investment properties. There could be a possible foreclosure. Could this effect me once were married even if this happened before we got married. Lets just say that I get a house in my name after were married. Could debt collectors touch this house? Would a pre-nuptial agreement help? Please advise!
    sarah louise Posts: 11, Reputation: -2

Nov 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Hello yes it can because you will have his last name my sister did. So just make him pay it off if he can
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 22, 2006, 06:26 PM
    I respectfully have a different opinion. Even if you happen to live in a community property state, his debts prior to marriage would not become yours, and would not affect your sole and separate property. After marriage I would suggest that you keep your finances separated, so that his problems don't become yours. Check your credit on a regular basis to be sure that this has not occurred.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 12:46 AM
    I just want to add some stuff.

First, yes, definitely sign a prenuptial agreement with this man.

And, no, you are not responsible for the debts that he brings INTO this marriage.

However, your house, can be attacked after 2 years in most places as it will be his property as well. That is why a prenuptial agreement is needed, to prevent this.

But I want to address another issue as well.

Has he CHANGED his habits?

You say he has bad debt, has he improved?

Because if you can't say Yes to that question, you shouldn't be marrying him at this time.

Because any debt that he accumulates WHILE you are married, are YOUR responsibility as well.

So, before you marry him, make sure he has CHANGED.

If he hasn't, do not marry him. Live with him, and have him sign a cohabitation agreement.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:57 AM
    No to both of your questions. Any assets that are strictly in your name can't be touched by any creditors your husband-to-be is in arrears with due to any transactions made solely by him before you are married. And a pre-nuptual agreement wouldn't be worth the paper it'd be written on. If you were to divorce, the house purchased in your name would still be considered a marital asset and your husband would be entitled to half if you divorced. Your husband's creditors could then go after his half after the divorce was finalized.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    However, your house, can be attacked after 2 years in most places as it will be his property as well. That is why a prenuptial agreement is needed, to prevent this..
    This may be a valid point. Your best bet would be to buy the house now, before you are married. That should keep it protected and avoid any hassels that may come about as a result of your name being the same as his, as sarah louise pointed out.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 28, 2006, 04:31 AM
    Whatever the solution, iron them out before you get married. What else is there to find out that you need to know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

Debt Settlement and marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I am at a point where I am actively pursuing debt settlement to clear up 5 credit card accounts. I have a reputable company. My question is, I am beginning my life again and looking ot remarry. If I remarry during the process of debt settlement, does that open up any opportunities to access her...

Debt Equity & Cost of Capital [ 1 Answers ]

McCoy, Inc. has equity with a market value of $40 million and debt with a market value of $20 million. The cost of the debt is 6 percent semi-annually. Treasury bills that mature in one year yield 5 percent per annum, and the expected return on the market portfolio over the ...

Bankruptcy & Debt [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on debt? Can a creditor ask for repayment on something from 1992?

Bankruptcy, 401K & a lot of debt [ 6 Answers ]

I am sick at my stomach as I type this, and don't have anyone else that I can talk to about this. Here's the situation: My husband and I filed bankruptcy and it was done on 1/1/02- only 3 1/2 years ago. We have been building our credit back again,and over the course of time, now find ourselves...

View more questions Search