Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    belovedgift Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Mar 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
    Is it a sin to be proud of the fact that you are a Christian?
    We all know that pride is a sin, but is it okay to be proud of your faith,or your church? Or is this just another form of super-pious hypocrisy?
    darkdays Posts: 143, Reputation: 17

Mar 26, 2010, 08:37 PM

Absolutely not! It is an honor to be a Christian. You are a child of God and brother of Jesus Christ. I couldn't think of anything more to be proud of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 06:55 PM

You should just be one, let your actions show what you are. Christianity is a life style, more than a relgion.

And of course pride in ones country, pride in the work we do, are all possitive things.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Hi, belovedgift!

Where did you get the idea that being proud of something you are might be bad, please?

Thanks!
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Mar 28, 2010, 09:54 AM

I think your question is an honest and fair one to ask.

It definitely is thought-provoking. Here are some of my thoughts. I'd be interested in hearing yours.

First off, on the surface it seems like being proud to be a Christian would be appropriate. But as I think about it, I'm not sure it is. For one, being a Christian is like admitting that I am a loser. What is a Christian anyway but a sinner. A Christian is someone who by the mercy of God has had his sins forgiven. A Christian is someone who is damnable because of his moral unworthiness but has been met with mercy from God because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Moving from that point, if I survey the world around me: my street, my town/city, my country, etc. I find other Christians from other persuasions and with different backgrounds who are ultimately in pursuit of the same mercy and grace; only their journey has taken them via different experiences and they have been brought up in their faith is different communities, etc. But if the confident expectation of people who consider themselves Christians is that God will be merciful to them and grant them eternal life, what is it that they are to be proud of in their religious tradition or religious community? Aren't they just as morally unworthy and deserving of condemnation as the rest of us?

If I understand Paul correctly when he says "God forbid I should boast save in the cross of Jesus Christ", I understand him to be saying that my only boast in life ought to be that the gospel of Jesus Christ has freed me from the condemnation and destruction that obedience to this world brings. But to boast of such a thing implies a rather keen understanding that I have much to be delivered from. To boast in man-made institutions and religious traditions is to resort back to the kinds of things that inhibit real spirituality and truth... things that bring people no closer to God but are an impediment to who we really are what our real problem is.

Those are my thoughts. What is your perspective, belovedgift?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, belovedgift!

Where did you get the idea that being proud of something you are might be bad, please?

Thanks!
    Seven deadly sins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise.
    NomNomNoodles Posts: 33, Reputation: 9

Mar 28, 2010, 10:44 AM

It depends on how you interpret the word "pride" and what you do with this pride.

If you're thinking of it as more to do with self confidence (instead of arrogance), it doesn't seem wrong to me. As far as I know, God doesn't make a sin out of awareness of one's identity and being able to stand up for yourself.

The Seven Sins seem to use the word "pride" in reference to arrogance. This means it's only a problem if you rub your faith in someone else's face by saying something like "I'm Christian and I'm better than you!" or forcefully imposing your own moral values upon another.

Best to refer back to the Gospels and Jesus' teachings regarding humility and judgment.

(I'm not Christian but there are many of them in my family, some of which are pastors.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by belovedgift View Post
    we all know that pride is a sin, but is it okay to be proud of your faith,or your church?
    Hello b:

I don't know. On the one hand, apparently there's some agreement between Christians that pride is a sin. Then, without missing a beat, you ask if pride is OK.

I can understand your confusion, though. It looks like ALL the people who are party to that agreement with you, think it's OK too.

I'll leave the judgments to you.

excon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 11:04 AM

Like NomNom said, there's pride and there's pride. The good kind of pride is the one you are reaching for. I'd probably search for a synonym, since the word "pride" can so easily be misunderstood.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Like NomNom said, there's pride and there's pride. The good kind of pride is the one you are reaching for. I'd probably search for a synonym, since the word "pride" can so easily be misunderstood.
    I agree, it's a matter of definition and interpretation.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 08:48 AM
    we all know that pride is a sin, but is it okay to be proud of your faith,or your church? Or is this just another form of super-pious hypocrisy?
    The answer to these questions can be quoted from the written Word of God. One that would boast of his own righteousness and faith in Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:2526 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Here is your answer, by the law of faith boasting your love in Christ Jesus is permitted.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

However this is not boasting in pride of denomination, or praise in man. This is praise, and pride held for our LORD and SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST in the ONE FAITH.

Eph. 4:4-5-6
    LeviDuet Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Mar 29, 2010, 03:01 PM

If you are just happy to be a christian, than no. If you are proud to be a christian because you think it makes you better than anybody else who is not a christian, than yes.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 03:58 PM
    we all know that pride is a sin, but is it okay to be proud of your faith,or your church? Or is this just another form of super-pious hypocrisy?
    I think you have to ask what are you proud about
    That your sin was enough for Jesus to die to cover it up, not a thing to be proud of
    That you have been chosen by God to spend eternity with him along with every other human being
    That you made a decision to follow Christ
    That you have been shown the only way to God and salvation
    or are you proud that all those sinners outside the doors of your church will be excluded from salvation
    Better not to be proud of religion, it is as you say hypocrisy
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:47 PM

belovedgift,
    To my way of thinking pride does go before the fall, but that is extreme pride with arrogance.
    Actually a Christian should be humbly proud (Yes I know that is an oxymoron) but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.
    Live the humble Christian lifestyle.
    Let your light shine and give the Glory to God.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 11:06 PM

I think that it depends on what you're proud of. If you're proud because you believe in your faith, you enjoy your faith, you feel comfortable in your faith, then fine.

If you're proud because you think that your faith is the only true faith and everyone else is wrong but you have the wisdom to see the "truth", then no.

I am proud to be a Deist, not because I think it's the only way, but because it makes sense to me and I've finally found something, after many years of searching, that does.

I'm not proud because I feel like I'm in an exclusive club, because I'm not. I'm not proud because I think my faith is the best. I'm not proud because so many others agree with me. I'm just proud to have found a path that I can follow.

So, what is your pride based on? I think that is the main question.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 09:50 PM

Altenweg,
    Again you have made some good points.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 07:03 AM

belovedgift,

As a Christian, we should never get over the fact that we are saved and we should rejoice in what Jesus has done for us. We should be joyful but to be honest salvation is of the Lord. If we are given any wisdom in the Bible it is because the Holy Spirit has enlightened us. If we attend a bible believing church that teaches christian truth... praise JESUS.

Christianty is ALL about Christ anyway.

PRIDE really is all about self! Pride is exalting self. It is a protecting of self. Pride is commitment to self. It is building up ourSELVES in our own eyes or in the eyes of others. Pride is an excessive belief in one's superiority and worth!

AND as a Christian who recognizes we are sinful, wicked and headed to a hopeless eternity separated from God without the Lord Jesus Christ. I just don't see what there is to be proud of.

Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, faithfulness, kindness and self control are what Christians are called to produce in their lives. I don't see any room for PRIDE!!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 07:58 PM

I agree with NomNom - recognize that the Bible is ancient and our use of words has changed, on top of the fact that it wasn't written in English so some things are lost in translation to some degree.

My understanding as a Catholic that "pride" in this context refers to an air of superiority, arrogance, putting oneself above others and before God.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:08 PM

Be proud to be a child of God. It's something to be proud of. Just knowing there is a place called heaven awaiting those who are Christians is reason to rejoice.

I'm not proud of the way I act sometimes, because I sin daily and make a lot of mistakes. But I am very proud to be a Christian.

It doesn't mean you're pious if you honor the Lord.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Be proud to be a child of God. It's something to be proud of. Just knowing there is a place called heaven awaiting those who are Christians is reason to rejoice.

I'm not proud of the way I act sometimes, because I sin daily and make a lot of mistakes. But I am very proud to be a Christian.

It doesn't mean you're pious if you honor the Lord.
    I think it's great that you can be proud of your beliefs Kit.

I too am proud of mine, but not in the same way. I'm proud that I stand up for what I believe in. I'm proud that I'm a good person. I'm proud that I'm a good mother, and a good wife and friend.

I'm not a Christian, but I still believe that if there's a heaven, I'll be accepted. I don't think being a Christian has anything to do with whether you're worthy of heaven.

I guess I'm most proud of the fact that I don't judge anyone based on their religious beliefs. I have friends that are Jewish, Lutheran, Atheist, Wiccan, Deist, Christian, you name it. They're all good people that just happen to believe different things, and they're just as committed to their beliefs then the Christians I know.

I think that when push comes to shove, God won't care which church you went to, or what religion you practiced. He'll judge on how you lived your life. If there is a God that is. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Christian living in willfull sin [ 10 Answers ]

if I live willfully in sin will I still go to heaven,My Name is Maggie and I`M having trouble finding Answer to this question.I been searching GOD`S WORD and find answers BY Experts whichhaveme now Confused.GOD says not to commit Audultry,HE also says because He knows are desires (flesh,sexual)we...

[(sin x cos x)/ (csc x sec x)] = (sin x cos x) [ 1 Answers ]

I need help verifying this problem algebraically: (sin x + cos X)/(csc x + sec x) = sin x cos x

Not proud of it [ 1 Answers ]

o.k. this is going to be dumb but here I go I'm looking to find out if any one know how to or knows any one that know how to find out the address for rob meck he is the senior vice president of debt management for sallie mae student loans. When I was very young and dumb I took out two students and...

Canucks should be proud [ 16 Answers ]

Canadian Court Limits Detention in Terror Cases--NYTimes Highlights: Thank you, Canadian Supreme Court, for upholding the long legal tradition that limits the power of the government to deprive individuals of their freedom without showing cause.

View more questions Search