Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindner.lisa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
    How do I tell my boyfriend that I want to wait to have sex because I was raped 2 years ago
    I have been dating this guy for a month now, my problem is that I want to take things slow. I don't think he will understand because I am 33 years old. Should I tell him the truth ad tell him that I was raped 2 years ago, and that is why I need to take things a little slower. I have had other guys not understand this at all..
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Mar 15, 2010, 07:12 PM

I don't think it's a problem that you want to take things slow, that is PERFECTLY normal and acceptable!!

If a guy is unable to understand or respect that you want to take things slow, then he is not a guy worth your time and effort.

I don't think you need to tell your boyfriend you were raped just yet (normally something like that takes a lot of trust to share). Simply say you really like him and would like to take things slow.

Have you sought counseling for your experience?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 09:44 PM

Its only been a month, I would be careful with divulging anything to him until you know him much better. That doesn't mean you can't take it slow, and know who your dealing with.

I suspect that a few months of getting to know him better, wouldn't hurt as he may not even deserve to know your private business.

I think its enough to tell any guy who shows interest, when your ready, not when they are. Us guys are notorious for always being ready, so its in your own time, for your own reasons, they have to deal with. If they can't, they don't merit that kind of consideration, and trust.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 09:50 PM

If they don't understand then they are not worth pursuing. It's a waste of time.

Might be as simple as "I really like you, but because of some issues I've had in the past, I need to proceed with extreme caution when attempting to advance this relationship to a sexual one. I don't want to be reminded of the past, so I'd ask you not to bring it up. If you don't mind, I'd like to be the one to initiate sex the first time between us. If you have the feelings that I think you do the honoring of this request will have the effect of making the relationship better. I hope this makes sense to you. (hug)
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 05:47 AM

I wouldn't exactly spring that up just yet. Take things slow and if he's a respectful guy, he will understand and value your morals

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ok so me and my boyfriend had sex a few days ago and afterwards I started bleedin [ 1 Answers ]

OK so me and my boyfriend had sex a few days ago and afterwards I started bleeding I quess because the sex was rouqh and so a couple of days later I started bleeding again but it was very liqht and it stopped . The next day it did it aqain , so wats that's suppose to mean because my period just...

Raped 14 years ago, my relationship is a mess [ 8 Answers ]

I was raped when I was 8 years old . My parents passed away the following year. I told my current boyfriend my life story and he was very understanding. But last night he made it very clear that he is starting to get irritated by my not wanting to have sex with him all the time. I really love him &...

Lied to my boyfriend about being raped.wasn't raped at all.what do I do? [ 45 Answers ]

Well, I told my boyfriend a little back ago that I was raped by my mother's boyfriend, but I was never raped in the first place... the guy never even touched me. I felt like he was ruining my life (since it was the first guy my mom started seeing after my mom and dad divorced). So, I wanted him...

My ex boyfriend and I broke up 2 years ago. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I broke up 2 years ago. We ended without any fights and no problems unsolved. Now he has a girlfriend that lives with him. She doesn't know about me, but every time My ex and I see each other like at parties, he just stares at me straight without his girlfriend noticing. I still...

View more questions Search