Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikera42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Water stops flowing when engine is started
    OK , first time here , so thanks for any input I can get on this issue. Im working on my dads 2500psi craftsman pressure washer and can't seem to find the problem. When I turn on the water to the pw I get a small stream out of the nozzle, which I believe in normal. But when I start the engine the water flow stops and the engine boggs down and the pump gets hot. So I turn off the engine ( water still on) and squeeze the trigger and release pressure a small stream of water flows again, but stops once the engine is running. I have disconnected the hose from the pw and the same thing happens coming from the outlet of the pump. Also I have taken the inlet/outlet part that bolts to the pump ( sorry don't know the name of it) and ran the engine with just the pump bolted to the engine and all of the plungers ( 3 of them) seem to work just fine. Can anyone tell me why when the engine starts no water will come out and the pump gets hot? Thanks for any input
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 03:39 PM

Hi,
    Well, you did tell me that it is a piston pump, rather than an axial or radial. It got hot because water was not reaching the plungers, as you call them, to cool them. Could be the unloading valve.
    Got that 9 digit model number. The first three digits tell who made it for Sears.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water flowing into ice maker when using water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE profile side-by-side refrigerator. I noticed that water was dripping from the ice maker and getting all over the food in the freezer. Also the ice was all clumped together and wouldn't dispense through the door. I cleaned everything and removed the ice maker and adjusted it to make...

What is the device called that keeps the water well pump on when water is flowing? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the devise that keeps the water well pump on when water is flowing at a certain rate to keep the well pump from going off and on? Thanks, Donaldson

Engine light stays on and Engine stops at any time. [ 4 Answers ]

Had the engine light checked out by several mechanics can't find out why it stays on all the time. Plus the engine will stops running when I come to a stop. Other times I will park and go in to a store and come out and it won't start but will wait a few minutes and it will start up again. It is...

Well water system: shower stops whole house water stops and starts [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing/well water question. Recently our water flow has been stopping (during a shower or in the sink). The entire house water supply stops. Sometimes there is a noise - like air - as if we've been away for a month. Sometimes there is no noise at all, the flow goes down to a trickle...

Kitchen Hot Water Stops Flowing [ 3 Answers ]

I can run my kitchen hot water at a low flow, but if the flow is anything more than a low flow, it stops flowing with a "machine gun" sounding rattle in the pipes before it completely stops the flow- it actually sounds like some sort of check valve in the hot water line rapidly opening and closing....

View more questions Search