Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkwickline Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Married but living separately in different states. I live and work in SC with my 17
    My husband lives and works in VA due to aging parent. I live and work in SC with our 17 year old due to aging parent. I travel to VA every month for weekend. We file joint on Federal but how do I file with the states?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 08:51 PM

On VA tax return your husband is resident and will report all his income. You are nonresident and do not have any VA income.
    Similar approach for SC. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 06:17 AM

You can each file as Married Filing Separately in your separate states. This lets you avoid having to report your income to VA, or your husband's income to SC. You can file this way for the two states and still file as Married Filing Jointly on your federal return as long as you have no VA income at all, and your husband has no SC at all, and neither of you actually lived in the other's state in 2009.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing for married couple live and work in different states [ 11 Answers ]

In 2007, I lived and worked in Connecticut and had the CT state tax withheld. My wife lived and worked in Massachusetts and had the MA state tax withheld. My wife supports her dad and our son and both of them live with my wife in MA. I want to file married jointly for 2007 federal tax and...

Tax Filing for married couple live and work in different states [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - My husband is in the military stationed in Missouri and I am living and working in Maryland. We want to file jointly, but are unsure how to do so. Please advise. Thanks.

State tax returns for a married couple living separately in OH and my [ 1 Answers ]

I have read couple previous posts regarding the issue. But it seems their examples can not completely fit my situation - OH and MI, since these 2 states have reciprocal agreements. I got married in September last year. I and my wife (US citizen) live separately in 2 states since then. She is...

Married, now living separately in different states for work reasons [ 1 Answers ]

Last year, we made big changes. We moved my spouse to California and are buying a home. We have been married 25 years and working/living in Michigan for 10 years. For economy issues, I now have a job in North Carolina and go visiting my spouse about every 6 weeks. How do we deal with taxes for...

Married but live/work in different states (CA/DC/MD) [ 4 Answers ]

I found similar topics, but want to ask a few things. I (will) live and work in CA for the entire year of 2008 (income source from CA only), but on Sep 29, my husband moved to Washington DC alone and started working in Maryland (CA resident/income source from CA for 9 months, DC resident/income...

View more questions Search