Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berulf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Married but live/work in different states (CA/DC/MD)
    I found similar topics, but want to ask a few things.

I (will) live and work in CA for the entire year of 2008 (income source from CA only), but on Sep 29, my husband moved to Washington DC alone and started working in Maryland (CA resident/income source from CA for 9 months, DC resident/income source from MD for 3 months).

We will file the federal tax return as married filing jointly, but as for state taxes,

For CA, should we file the return as married jointly with all income including his MD’s or only income from CA? If latter, should he be a part-time resident?

For Washington DC, should he file as married separately or jointly? With all our income including mine, only his income from MD or his income both form CA/MD?

For MD, my husband can simply file the return as a non-resident so that he will not need to pay the state, correct?

Thanks in advance.
    Yukari
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:45 PM

1. If you are filing joint federal return, you should file joint returns for the states.

2. On DC return, report your income as nil (non-resident) and your husband income as part year resident for the period he is in DC.

2. For CA report your income and your husband's income for the full year. On CA tax return, claim credit for taxes paid to DC.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Additionally, he will have to report to MD the income he earned while at a MD location.

Attach copies of the other state returns to each state filing to let the state know you/he are paying taxes proportionately to each state/DC.
    Berulf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Thank you both for your adivice. Now I have a clearer idea.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing for married couple live and work in different states [ 11 Answers ]

In 2007, I lived and worked in Connecticut and had the CT state tax withheld. My wife lived and worked in Massachusetts and had the MA state tax withheld. My wife supports her dad and our son and both of them live with my wife in MA. I want to file married jointly for 2007 federal tax and...

Live in NY will work in NJ, WIll they take taxes for both states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in NY, but I am getting a job in NJ. I wanted to know if I will be paying taxes for the state of NY and the state of NJ, or only NJ since that is where I have the job. And I was also wandering if they do keep taxes for both states, how can I find out the percentage they keep. I know...

Where do you collect unemployment if you work and live in two different states? [ 1 Answers ]

If am employed in Philadelphia but live in Las Vegas if I lose my job where do I file for unemployment? Thank you.

Live in Wy. Employer in Ca. Work in several states [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming which has no state income tax. My employer is based in California. I work at different sites in California, Arizona, and Nevada. (also no state tax) My employer takes California state taxes out no matter where I work. What is my best option when filing taxes at the years end and...

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

View more questions Search