Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timmyd1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Free electrical question
    I have a switch which operates the bottom half of an outlet. There is a 14/3 and a 14/2 wire coming in to the switch. The whites are wire nutted, and the 2 blacks and 1 red are connected to the switch. How can I bypass the powering of the outlet and use this switch to power the light on a newly installed fan. The fan itself will be powered manually.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 11:37 AM

You'll have to do a better job of describing how this is wired.

What do you have going to the fan?
    What do you mean by "the fan will be powered manually"?
    timmyd1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    You'll have to do a better job of describing how this is wired.

What do you have going to the fan?
    What do you mean by "the fan will be powered manually"?
    I don't have anything going to fan yet. I need the switch to just operate the light on a fan light combo. Currently, when I open up the existing switch there is a 14/3 and a 14/2 wire coming in. The two whites are wire nutted together and the remaining blacks and red are hooked up to switch. By manually I mean I don't need a switch to operate the fan assembly I will use the pull cord. I am wondering what type of wire I need to run from the switch to the fan and how I can tap into power that is already in switch box . Thanks for any info I appreciate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free electrical questions [ 5 Answers ]

I have installed 6 insulated can ceiling lights. They are on one circuit controlled by a Levaton paddle switch with a slide dimmer rated at 600w.The bulbs are phillips 60 watt halogen spots for a total wattage of 360w. They have worked fine for about a year usually run at about halfway on the...

Electrical usage question [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in our single family house for 25 years and he always complained about our electricity bills but never did anything about them. We're now divorced: I've kept the house, am living here alone and am paying all the bills. I got my first electric bill this month and about had a...

Electrical service question [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an old house that has a fuse panel with two 60 amp fuses for the main. Is this considered 60 Amp or 120 Amp service? I guess it is 60 Amp per phase but I am not sure of the "Service" terminology. I am looking to upgrade to 200 Amp service as I want to get rid of the boiler and...

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

View more questions Search