Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunilb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Tax exemption for spouse living in India but never visited USA
    Hi,
    I am from India and married. I worked in USA On L1 visa for entire year 2009. However my wife and children never visited USA. So while filing the federal tax return for year 2009, can I get a benefit of being married (spouse and/or dependent exemption)? If yes, please advice on the formalities I need to complete.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sunil
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 02:46 AM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents. Both of you must report worldwide income for 2009.
    You can not claim your children if they were never in the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa India tax exemption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student and hold an Indian passport. I have a question regarding tax for J1 interns. I visited the US for completing my degree project in a research lab at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School for a period of one year. I went there as an intern and got my DS2019 form...

J1 visa India tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I am basically a student who came to USA to work in research lab. However my J1 visa states that I am an intern and not a research scholar, which may not allow me to apply for US- India tax treaty for total exemption from paying the tax. Although I...

Never visited USA - Capital Gains Tax - Indian citizen [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I returned to India on Dec 2006 after staying 7 years in US and got married to an Indian girl Sep 2007. She is an home maker and I wanted to open a brokerage account in USA under her name. I do not want to open in my name due to potential tax complications both in India and US ( as I...

India tax treaty exemption on California state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions: 1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007 2. Is the standard...

Dependent tax exemption - Family never visited US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Name: Pounraj Selvaraj Visa Status: H1B Citizen: Indian Maritial Status: Married and having 2 kids. Stay in US: Since January 10, 2006 - alone (Family is in India) Is there any way I can get tax exemption for supporting them as dependents?

View more questions Search