Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r2idreamer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Never visited USA - Capital Gains Tax - Indian citizen
    Hi All,

I returned to India on Dec 2006 after staying 7 years in US and got married to an Indian girl Sep 2007. She is an home maker and I wanted to open a brokerage account in USA under her name. I do not want to open in my name due to potential tax complications both in India and US ( as I work in India full time and no plans of going back to US).

My questions are:

1. Can a person who has never been to USA can open a brokerage account in USA?

1. If she has any capital gains in US, does she have to pay US tax ?(please note that she has never been to USA)

2. The broker agreed to wire out capital gains(if any) to our indian account once in 3 months. We asked him about the US tax question but he was not sure. He said he will get back to us 2 weeks ago but no luck yet. Does this scenario create any complications in India?

3. We knew that we need to file tax return in India for this capital gain in US but anyone know the procedure.

Any response would be highly appreciated and thanks a lot for reading my question.

Thanks.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2009, 01:49 PM

Capital gains on the sale of personal property (like stock) by a nonresident alien are considered sourced without the United States. Thus, there is no US tax on that gain.

Nevertheless, you will be required to submit a W8-BEN to the broker to avoid withholding tax. Fill in Part I only, have your wife sign and date it and send to the broker. Since no treaty benefit is being requested an ITIN is not required.

I would assume you are taxable in India on the gain but have no idea of Indian tax law. Find a professional there.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
    R2idreamer:

I am surprised you could get the brokerage house to open an account for your wife without an ITIN, but if you could, then great!

Please identify the brokarage house, as there are other Indian nationals who would like to do the same as you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Mother Indian citizen and visited US for less than 6 months can I claim her dependent [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there, While reading the forum on this website, I saw you helped many people with their complicated queries about tax returns. I would appreciate if you can respond to this query. Thanks~ My Mother came to US on May 13 2007 and left US on 6th oct 2007. She is came here on Visitor...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

Capital Gains Taxes for an indian non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to find out if I am liable for capital gains taxes on my primary home that I plan to sell. It is the very first house that I have bought. I am an indian citizen and on F-1 visa. India does have a tax treaty with US but I am not sure what the IRS says with respect to capital gains. Can...

View more questions Search