Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panna1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Is my husband, according to the law, stepfather for my son
    Hi,
    I have a son almost 22 years old, he lives alone more than 1 year. The last year my husband and me lived separately and filld taxes separately. My son and ne filled together. This year my son applied for financial aid in his college. But someone in Financial Department said that my son should bring my husband's taxretutn because my husband is his stepfather. My husband never adopt my son and din't help. Could someone please tell me - is my husband, according to the law, stepfather for my son.

Thanks,
    Panna1
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 08:23 PM

No, if he adopted him, then he would be the father or adoptive father.

Since he married you, he is the step father.
    His income is part of the "household" money and is often looked at for college funds.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 02:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Panna1 View Post
    The last year my husband and me lived separately and filld taxes separately.
    Fr.Chuck is right.
    It depends on whether you are legally separated or ONLY separated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

My son and my husband [ 2 Answers ]

I have been married for a little over a year, and I have a son and a daughter only the daughter belongs to my husband. My sons father hasn't been in his life for 3 and a half years and my husband as been there since he was 2 years olds, my son will be 4 years old Monday, his father wasn't there for...

My 17 year old son wants to be a stepfather! [ 7 Answers ]

I know this sounds crazy but my 17 year old son has a new girlfriend and she is 15 years old and has a 2 month old baby. He is very softhearted and he swears that he loves her and wants to be with her.He said that the baby's dad ran out on her and he wants to take care of the baby.:confused: He...

Stepfather hurts my son [ 8 Answers ]

Should I get a divorce if my husband got into a physical fight with my son. I want to protect my kids. I am having a lot of mixed feelings, I don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice. My son took some things and is now at a friends house, he says that he in not coming back until he is...

View more questions Search