Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJALVERSON Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Txgreasemonkey
    The problem I told you about earlier about the clicking sound when the fan is off, I found out that that is a relay up under the dash on the right hand side of the glovebox. I was fooling around with the connection, when all of a sudden it stopped clicking and the fuel pump primed up. I only got it to do this every so often, but it has yet to do this until tonight. Could that relay be bad, and would that keep it from firing. I just got back from the shop so I haven't had a chance to try what you just told me, but I just wanted to see what you thought about this.

Thanks

DJ
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Yes, it could. I don't know what year and model Civic you have, but the diagnosis is pointing to a bad main relay (which you probably just located) or a bad ECM (computer). You need to run the voltage test at the MAP sensor, though. If the computer is bad, it will prevent the main relay from grounding through terminal 8 and give the appearance that the main relay is bad, when, in fact, it's the computer. Run the voltage test at the MAP sensor.

Your description above sounds like your ECM (computer) is failing. You are getting intermittant ground to main relay terminal 8, a computer-controlled grounding terminal, and the second relay in the main relay closes and the fuel pump runs. If this is the problem, it will become apparent when you run the voltage test at the MAP sensor. It's a complicated interplay between the main relay and the ECM going on here. Failure of either the main relay or the ECM will prevent spark. The end of this drama is rapidly approaching.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
    DJ, what was the result of running the voltage test to the MAP sensor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Txgreasemonkey [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I went and checked what you told me. 1 the cel comes on and goes back off after 2 seconds. 2 the main relay clicks 3 immediately after the relay clicks the cel comes right back on. My friends says he can hear the fuel pump. But I didn't. So were do I go from here. Thanks

View more questions Search