Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elle222222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Bona fide residence test partial year
    We moved to Switzerland Oct 2009, for a 2-3 year position with a Swiss company. Do we meet the bona fide residence test for 2009? And if so, how does this benefit us on our US taxes?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2010, 01:44 PM

Actually, you fall into the category of qualifying under the "Physical Presence" test.

You may exclude your income earned abroad for 2009 once you satisfy the 330 day rule.

You really, really must read Pub. 54, especially chapter 4 Publication 54 (2009), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad
    And get ready to file Form 2350 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2350.pdf
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 11:59 PM

This is from publication 54:

Tax Home in Foreign Country
    To qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, your tax home must be in a foreign country throughout your period of bona fide residence or physical presence abroad. Bona fide residence and physical presence are explained later.

Tax Home
    Your tax home is the general area of your main place of business, employment, or post of duty, regardless of where you maintain your family home. Your tax home is the place where you are permanently or indefinitely engaged to work as an employee or self-employed individual. Having a “tax home” in a given location does not necessarily mean that the given location is your residence or domicile for tax purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proof of bona fide foreign residence or physical presence [ 2 Answers ]

How does one prove they meet these two tests: the bona fide residence test and the physical presence test to claim foreign earned income?

Immigration and not being able to prove a bona fide previous marriage [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do to win an immigration trial when the requirement is to prove a previous bona fide short term marriage when evidence of the same is not able to be obtained as Required by Immigration requirements?

Do we meet Bona Fide residence test , and qualif for Foreign housing exclusion? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tax experts Thanks all the help in the past. I have tried quite hard to go through most of the relevant tax publication to avoid waste your precious time to answer some obvious question that I can find the answer myself. But your advise definitely help me a lots for the area that I am...

Partial F Test [ 0 Answers ]

In exercise 12.50 you will perform partial F tests by using the following fresh detergent models. Model 2: y = Bo + B1X1 + B2X2 + B3X3 + B4DB + B5Dc + epsilon The value of SSE for model 2 is 0.5420 In model 2, test Ho : B4 = B5 = 0 by setting alpha equal to 0.05 and 0.01. Interpret your...

View more questions Search