Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    havik1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 09:10 AM
    What does a # 14 electrical wire look like
    How can I find out if my home is using a #14 wire in my circuit breaker I need to switch it out with something better. My home is using 15 amp 120 volt that keeps popping due to the fact one amp hold all the power to 2 bedrooms, bath, living,dining and mud room seriouly need help to solve this issue
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 09:45 AM

#14 AWG, conductors are the correct size to use on a 15 Amp circuit.

You could use #12 AWG conductors which are approved for 20 amp circuits.

What you absolutley cannot do is put a 20 amp breaker on a 14 AWG conductor. This is a very real fire hazard.

A better solution would be to split the load into two 15 amp circuits or if you would like to, you can still split the circuits to reduce the load on the two circuits and upgrade the wiring to 12 AWG and install two separate 20 amp AFC breakers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
    To answer your actual question, you can get a pair of wire strippers similar to the photo I provided, it has notches for the different wire sizes that can be used as a wire gauge.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical -Can I use 12 wire to wire lights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use #12 wire to wire lights, fan and switch from the panel to the light ? The breaker Is a 15Amp single pole.

Wire for electrical stove [ 10 Answers ]

Hello can you tell me what size # wire I need for a 220 that an electrical stove will run off? The breaker is a double 50. I think that the wire that is there now is too small for the breaker. I think that when more than one burner is in use they don't work properly. One will cool down while the...

10-2 UF-b electrical wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm going to get electricity to my shop which is aprox. 240-245 ft. away from my house. I plan on running 220v from my box to the shop using 10-2 uf wire then splitting it off into two circuts; one circuit for outlets on one side of the building and one for the other side. My question...

Lengthening electrical wire [ 3 Answers ]

I am renovating our kitchen and knocked a wall out. Around 6 electrical wires in the wall had to be lengthened for re-routing. I joined these in the attc in junction boxes using 14/3 Romex. Now I have come to learn that the circuits are 20amp. The original wire was 12/2. Should I change this out?...

Electrical wire Sheathing [ 2 Answers ]

Question is Electrical wire sheathing should not project more than about 1 inch into the: A. plumbing line B. floor joist C. electric panel D. Ground

View more questions Search