Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xpulse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 09:18 AM
    10-2 UF-b electrical wire
    Hello, I'm going to get electricity to my shop which is aprox. 240-245 ft. away from my house. I plan on running 220v from my box to the shop using 10-2 uf wire then splitting it off into two circuts; one circuit for outlets on one side of the building and one for the other side.

My question is... Will 10-2 wire be heavy enough to carry enough voltage/amperage that far without any problems. Thanks for your time.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 10:20 AM

First, if you are planning on installing both 240 and 120 VAC circuits, you must use a three conductor cable with ground.

At the sub panel, there must be a ground rod to the ground conductor to the sub panel. On the subpanel, you must isolate the ground from the Neutral, they cannot be bonded at the sub panel.

10 AWG conductors are rated for 30 amp.

Given the distance and the unknown load and sizing the circuit as a "continuous" live circuit, you would need at least #3 AWG, copper, and a 40 amp breaker to deliver 30 amps 250 feet. You would have to use a #4 AWG conductor as your equipment grounding conductor.

A more realistic load would be 60 amps. For that you would need #1/0 copper, with a min. size 80 amp breaker or a max. 90 amp breaker and a #4 AWG equipment ground conductor.

Please examine what your costs would be to trench and back fill. Plus cost of the feeder cable. And then ask your Power Company what they would charge to supply an overhead drop or an underground lateral to the remote building.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical wire size for spa [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring up my spa and looking at what info I have (GE / Cutler Hammer) they say for a spa (240) use a 50amp breaker (which I have) and use 8/3 size wire. But looking at my spa where you hook the power up it says use 6 AWG minumin? So which should I use from the house to the breaker...

Electrical wire updating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old house where the electrical is run through the ceiling joists of my basement on insulators. But there is some romex run through the house as well but it has turned a yellowish brown color and looks to be cracking when I move it. Should I replace all the wire in the house or would...

Lengthening electrical wire [ 3 Answers ]

I am renovating our kitchen and knocked a wall out. Around 6 electrical wires in the wall had to be lengthened for re-routing. I joined these in the attc in junction boxes using 14/3 Romex. Now I have come to learn that the circuits are 20amp. The original wire was 12/2. Should I change this out?...

Electrical wire Sheathing [ 2 Answers ]

Question is Electrical wire sheathing should not project more than about 1 inch into the: A. plumbing line B. floor joist C. electric panel D. Ground

Electrical wire sheathing [ 1 Answers ]

My question is Electrical wire sheathing should not project more than 1 inch into the?

View more questions Search