Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InLove9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 11:37 PM
    How to deal with a break up?
    I just recently found myself in an eerie situation and am in the midst of working through the emotions. Do you have advice for how best to get through the lonely hours without contacting her knowing full well that any advance no matter how much love and patience is expressed will not end in my favor nor hers at this moment?
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 10:20 AM
    I'm sorry about your breakup. The best thing to do is to keep as busy as possible.
    See friends,do things you enjoy doing.
    If you find yourself alone at home-watch a good film,read a good book.

With time your pain will go away.

At the top of the relationship page there are stickies with good advice on how to handle breakups.
    I suggest you read them.

Take care.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 10:30 AM

Always having something to do, helps. Going back to what you did before you met helps too.

How old are you both, and how long did the relationship last?

As Amicon says, reading the stickies at the beginning of this forum, will give you some good ideas to use, and some suggestions to follow.

There is a link in my signature in case you have a problem finding them.
    Tordmor Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2010, 10:47 AM

I don't think that getting your mind of the breakup by being busy will help. I think it just means you're evading the problem which usually worsens it even if it might feel better.

I advice you to actually think about it. Think about what the relationship meant to you and what you now know it meant to her. There is a discrepancy, something that she wanted to get but you didn't give her. It might feel now like you would give anything to get her back, but that's just an illusion. Our brains are wired to experience a loss much more than a gain. So you need to set yourself into a "gain" rather than "loosed" frame of mind. Imagine a situation where you would be in a stable relationship and would meet her again, but this time you would know in advance what you needed to give in order to get her. Does it still feel like it were worth it?

The emotional part of your brain is just as much influenced by your thought process as is the rational part. Thinking things through can in fact change the way you feel about it.
    Tordmor Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2010, 03:05 PM

I don't think that I said anything of what talaniman suggests I had.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 09:45 PM

There might not be any tools to speed up the recovery process. Time is the key to healing.

However, there are tools that can help you prevent prolonging the pain and suffering. For example, keeping as busy as possible. Secondly, avoid all possible contact with your ex, so that you don't generate false hope and can focus your energy on healing.

Check out my signature for no contact related threads. Also, check out the stickies in the relationship thread for more insight.
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Feb 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
    You always go through the emotions after a breakup. As hard as it, you have to keep busy. Everyday will get easier. Thinking about and pondering over it, you still stay stuck. You must maintain the no contact to heal. Everybody manages to get through, it just takes longer for some people who have a hard time accepting it. Good luck, and stay focused on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with a college relationship break. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have asked a few questions on this website and love the results I get. They have been nothing but helpful and help me through a lot of situations. My question starts with before I left for college that is 2 hours away from her at home. About three weeks before I left I met this...

How to deal with a break up of 7 years. IS HE RE BOUNDING [ 7 Answers ]

I Have Been In A Relationship For 7 Years. We Have Lived Together For 3 Years. Through Out Our Relationship We Have Had Many Heated Arguments Where We Have Split And We Both Thought It Was Over. We Always Seemed To Find One Another Again. In February He Purposed. Recently At The End Of June We...

How to deal with the confusion of a "break" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm a newb here and I have a question concerning a relationship/friendship I'm in. I recently broke off a long term relationship (5 yrs) and found myself extremely attracted to one of my close friends. It wasn't really intentional on either party's side that this...

View more questions Search