Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rick Sommerfeld Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Metal electric line poles. Why are they not painted or galvanized?
    Recently, the poles for a large electricity transmission line were replaced. These are huge, steel poles. But they are not painted or galvanized, and are covered with rust. Why wouldn't they be coated to prevent rust?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 07:43 AM
    They have what is called a self-weathering finish.

Here are a couple of references:

http://www.capx2020.com/Images/Trans...eet_7-2008.pdf

http://www.itcmidwest.com/developmen...m_hazelton.pdf

Sort of if you can't beat it, join it approach to corrosion.

These need no maintenance of finish.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What color metal roofing would be best when your house is painted hunter green trimme [ 7 Answers ]

What would be the best color for metal roofing since my house is painted Hunter Green and trimmed in tan. I would send a picture of this house but the picture has too many bytes.

One electric line out [ 2 Answers ]

Several outlets in our house just stopped working... We don't know if anything else is on that line... None of the circuit breakers appear to be tripped... But I'm wondering if they can just need replacing... Or if not How do we figure out what's wrong?

Number of poles [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, How many poles do you need to fence a 3 acre area?

Plastic supply line / metal shutoff valve [ 2 Answers ]

Dishwasher water supply line has leak where it enters the metal shutoff valve (at the back side of the metal nut - around the plastic line). Does this nut work with a compression sleeve and may need a twist with a wrench or are these plastic pipe to metal valve joints A permanent creation that I...

Metal deposits in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

The pipes being used to supply water to our house is gavenized and around 50 years old. When we turn on the kitchen faucset, we can see metal deposits. What would be the easiest way to cure this? The distance from the meter and the house is over 100 yards. Would iot be possible to replace the...

View more questions Search