Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Is It Okay to Store Unfinished Cans of Food in the Fridge in Their Original Cans?
    Hi, All!

I'm wondering if it's okay to store unfinished cans of food in the refrigerator in their original cans.

I've heard that it wasn't okay, and that some sort of chemical reaction happens between the sides of the can and the food to make the food unsafe, once the contents has been exposed to air. Is that true?

I'm asking about things like soups that have already been cooked prior to being sold as well as vegetables.

I'm also talking about leaving them in the refrigerator for no more than two or three days, wrapped in some sort of plastic wrap.

I'm not a big eater, so not having to put the remaining food in some sort of plastic container that has a lid, sure would make things more convenient.

I love it when they make the half cans of food that are less than 10.5 ounces!

I also wish that, around here, they would sell half or even one-third loves of bread!

Thanks!
    XxUntouchablexX Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 10:13 PM

Yeah I've heard the same thing about keeping opened food in the can, but the only difference when it's sealed and when you open it is the air. Supposedly it's supposed to oxidize, but most cans are either lined with a very thin plastic coating (like saran-wrap almost) or animal fat. Anyway if you're not going to go like a week without eating them you should be in the clear.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
    I leave things like tomato paste opened in the fridge for a couple days, than transfer it to something else. I was always more worried about the 'tin taste'. I have never heard that it was bad and have never had a problem even if I forgot to transfer it, but I also am cooking it afterward.:)
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
    My issue tonight, is mushroom soup. I only consumed half the contents of what was in the can.

Should be no problem to store it in the refrigerator for a couple of days, correct?

I do plan to wrap it in something.

Thanks!
    XxUntouchablexX Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 11:01 PM

You won't die.

The same people who say metal is unsafe for storage claim that plastic is unsafe as well, but plastic is actually man-made with chemicals and such. So storing it in the can is probably better than the plastic storage containers most people use religiously.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 9, 2010, 11:10 PM

My mother ALWAYS stored food in their cans if she didn't use all of it. I do the same thing. I'm not dead, and have no known serious health problems, so it seems perfectly safe to me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 11:38 PM

The only two reasons not to would be to avoid spillage (if you knock one over) and to avoid getting a tinny taste in some foods. If you eat the food within a few days, you should be okay.

Another thing to do would be to (carefully) pour the leftovers into a zip-lok freezer bag after labeling it. You can wash and reuse them many times, even relabeling each time. I do that with stew or leftover veggies.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 12:30 AM
    The half-can of mushroom soup is now in a baggie in the refrigerator.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    The half-can of mushroom soup is now in a baggie in the refrigerator.

Thanks!
    I hope you secured it. Now, don't forget about it. Is it labeled and dated?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any facts about recycle pop cans? [ 2 Answers ]

1:what would happen if you didn't recycle your pop cans 2:what can pop cans make 3:How many pop cans did people throw away in one year* in canada*

Using a ElationDMX operator pro controller and par cans [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to get the Operator Pro to run the par 64's that are hooked to my dimmer paks for the pars. The paks light up appropriately but the lights do not respond on or off to the controller. I'm connected to a dmx light fixture first and then to the paks. The controller is supposed to be...

Spacing for 3'' cans in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer who wants to use 3'' cans in a basement finish. I could not change his mind to 6''. The size is 42' long and 12' wide. I fiured on having 3 lights centered in width And 8 going the long way spaced at 5' apart Totaling 24 lights total. Does this spacing sound right? ...

Recessed cans and I/C rating, what does it really mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello again all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I installed 8 recessed (6") cans in my attic ceiling. they are rated for insulation contact (I/C) . they are installed in a 2x4 ceiling. i plan to lay insulation perpindicular/over the top of the 2x4's. and then also insulate...

View more questions Search