Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmozingo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Tiling tub surround
    I'm in the middle of re-tiling my tub surround (about ready to tile, actually). I tore it down to the studs, then put up a plastic vapor barrier and cement board. The problem is my tub has a 1/2" lip that comes up. I couldn't overlap the lip, so I just put the cement board on top of that, planning to tile as low as the cement board will allow, and then filling the gap between cement board/tile and the tub with caulk.

Is this an acceptable solution? Should I fill that 1/2" gap with thin set first?

Thanks!

I think you would have better luck if you let your tile come down to within a 1/8th inch of the tub. It will look better than the 1/2 at the bottom

What I usually do is put sheets of lattice on the studs to shim it out. Then I put the backer board on top of the lattice down to about 1/8" of the tub, so it's hanging over the tub flange. Since the lattice is thicker than the flange, the backer board doesn't actually touch the flange, which gives you a little "fudge room" if the walls are not perfectly square (which means the flange isn't touching the studs all the way around).

But since you say that you already installed the backer board butted flush with the top of the flange (right?), I would fill in the gap with latex modified thinset.
    dmozingo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmozingo
    I'm in the middle of re-tiling my tub surround (about ready to tile, actually). I tore it down to the studs, then put up a plastic vapor barrier and cement board. The problem is my tub has a 1/2" lip that comes up. I couldn't overlap the lip, so I just put the cement board on top of that, planning to tile as low as the cement board will allow, and then filling the gap between cement board/tile and the tub with caulk.

Is this an acceptable solution? Should I fill that 1/2" gap with thin set first?

Thanks!

I think you would have better luck if you let your tile come down to within a 1/8th inch of the tub. it will look better than the 1/2 at the bottom

What I usually do is put sheets of lattice on the studs to shim it out. Then I put the backer board on top of the lattice down to about 1/8" of the tub, so it's hanging over the tub flange. Since the lattice is thicker than the flange, the backer board doesn't actually touch the flange, which gives you a little "fudge room" if the walls are not perfectly square (which means the flange isn't touching the studs all the way around).

But since you say that you already installed the backer board butted flush with the top of the flange (right?), I would fill in the gap with latex modified thinset.
    If I fill it with thinset, I wouldn't really have anyway to stop it from butting up with the tub, leaving no gap. Would that be OK?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 22, 2006, 03:50 PM
    What you could have done was rasp the back of the cement board the thickness of the lip then it wouldn't bulge out on you.

You'll be fine butting the lip w/ the cement board. Seal the seam where the cement board meets that tub lip with caulking. Then you can trowel thinset over that gap with a layer of mesh tape. Your tile will span that gap so no need to worry. Leave a slight gap where the tile meets the tub so it can be caulked. You will get grout in that joint but you'll still need to grout it.

All your flat and corner seams should be meshed taped prior to tiling with mesh tape and the thinset you'll use to adhere the tile with. This can be done the day before or while your tiling.

I've butted the tub lips and sealed the seams on a number of tile jobs with no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a new tub surround [ 7 Answers ]

We have just completely gutted our bathroom and are now in the process of piecing it back together. We have already hung the drywall (greenboard) and installed the tub and need some help with installing the tub surround. The lip of the tub is screwed to the studs and the drywall comes down...

Tiling a bathtub surround - new backerboard? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bathtub surround done in tongue & groove wood planks glued and nailed directly onto sheetrock, in turn nailed to the framing. It is quite old and predictably, the wood has rotted and caused the sheetrock to erode. (see photo) I would like to remove the wood and tile the surround. Do I need...

Replace Sunken Tub with New Tub & Surround [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 34 year-old tiled concrete sunken roman tub that's too ratty to even think about soaking in. Besides that, the stopper's gone and the whole thing needs to be updated. It's currently being used as a step-down shower. Some dimensions: Length 57", Width 27 1/4", Depth 11"(only 6" after I...

Tub surround [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im redoing a bathroom and replacing the tub surround. The wall behind only has greenboard about 3 ft up from the tub and some of the paper came off when I took the old surround out. Do I need to cut out the dry wall and greenboard out where I put in the new surrond? Thanks

View more questions Search