Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aspiring_handyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 12:20 AM
    Tiling a bathtub surround - new backerboard?
    I have a bathtub surround done in tongue & groove wood planks glued and nailed directly onto sheetrock, in turn nailed to the framing. It is quite old and predictably, the wood has rotted and caused the sheetrock to erode. (see photo) I would like to remove the wood and tile the surround. Do I need to remove all the old sheetrock and then attach new backerboard to the framing as a foundation for the tile? Will the tile on backboard seal with the old bathtub? The plan is to refinish the bathtub to last us a few years until we scrape together the money for a total bathroom remodel. Thanks!
    Attached Images

dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 11, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Sounds like your on the right track. I would tear everything out to the studs and start new.
    Tile down to the tub, then seal tile/tub perimeter with silicone - should be fine.
    Sometimes it can be easier to put up moisture res. Drywall ( the green stuff) and just glue a 3 piece wall in, but I guess there is no substitute for real tile.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 13, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dayslug24
    Sounds like your on the right track. I would tear everything out to the studs and start new.
    tile down to the tub, then seal tile/tub perimeter with silicone - should be fine.
    Sometimes it can be easier to put up moisture res. drywall ( the green stuff) and just glue a 3 piece wall in, but I guess there is no substitute for real tile.
    What he said

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling my basement bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to begin tiling my bathroom. The size is approximately 5x12 with one pocket door leading to another room. I'll be laying 16x16 ceramic tile, and I have a few questions. 1. Should I cut the tile along the wall where the door is to allow the tile to extend into the doorway? I do...

Tiling my bathrrom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting ceramic tile on my bathroom floor and bought 1/4 inch backerboard. I didn't put thinset underneath the backerboard between the tongue and groove sub floor. I did use the proper screws to anchor down the board but I am worried about the problem of not having thinset underneath?

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

Tiling question [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? I plan on tiling to the ceiling to avoid this problem there, but what about the sides?...

Tub backerboard installation [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a new bathroom with a tub. I plan to cement backerboard, but have a question concerning it's installation. The tub I purchased has a 1" lip around the three wall sides. When installing the backerboard do I overlap that lip or just set the backerboard on the top edge and fill in the...

View more questions Search