Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 09:28 PM
    Can I plumb an island sink 12' from drain
    Hi all it's Rob again

Sorry to be back so soon but my next challenge is to plumb in my island sink,only thing is (of course)it is 12' from the main drain & vent.I am not sure if I plumb it the same way Mark taught me for my laundry room or if it would be totally different.I have attached 2 pics----1 of where the island is to go & the other of the main stack which I'm thinking will have to be completely re plumbed.(I'm OK with that cause we get a clicking sound out of the stack when we run hot water).

Big thanks in advance
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 06:05 AM
    Hi Rob...

An island sink is an exeption to all the rules... ;)

You can connect into the drain line in the basement using a wye fitting and then run that over to the island sink, but then you need to do some real fancy pipe work.

Here, the vent is run up to as high as the countertop and then connects together to loop back on itself under the sink and back downstairs, but then that vent needs to run over and connect into a vent upstairs.

Check out the diagram below. Let us know if you want to discuss.

You could also use a mechanical vent under the sink, called an AAV, but they are not legal everywhere... see last image. Here, you would just run the drian pipe over to the sink, install a cleanout and a vent and top off with the AAV... see images.

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Rob...

An island sink is an exeption to all the rules...;)

You can connect into the drain line in the basement using a wye fitting and then run that over to the island sink, but then you need to do some real fancy pipe work.

Here, the vent is run up to as high as the countertop and then connects together to loop back on itself under the sink and back downstairs, but then that vent needs to run over and connect into a vent upstairs.

Check out the diagram below. Let us know if you want to discuss.

You could also use a mechanical vent under the sink, called an AAV, but they are not legal everywhere...see last image. Here, you would just run the drian pipe over to the sink, install a cleanout and a vent and top off with the AAV...see images.

MARK
    Again thanks Mark

Assuming that code permits the AAV ( I will find out) & all costs aside,what would you recommend.This is why I would like to plumb it myself (cost wouldn't not be the main issue) :oI respect your opinion & just want to do it right.

Big Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 09:24 AM
    In this case, I would opt. for the AAV, if permitted. Simply put, these AAVs work great until they fail and then, when they fail (you would smell an odor), you simply unscrew it and replace it... :)

Pop back with any questions... anytime!

MARK

Feb 2, 2010, 10:16 AM
    In this case, I would opt. for the AAV, if permitted. Simply put, these AAVs work great until they fail and then, when they fail (you would smell an odor), you simply unscrew it and replace it...:)

Pop back with any questions...anytime!

MARK
    Thanks Mark

As it turns out I just heard I can use the AAV here so that's what I will do.To be clear do I run a 2" drain pipe?Where would I put the cleanout?I am asuming the AAV is now the vent?(I don't need to run a vent line back)?sorry just want to be clear.

Again big thanks for all your help :):)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
    That's what I'm here for... :)

No need to run the vent now... just want to use that AAV under the sink.

As always, I'm glad to draw up all you'll need to do, but again, you'll have to give me a day or two as I am super busy with freeze ups and no heat calls lately. I'm going to recommend 2 cleanouts and yes, you'll run a 2" drain line for best result!

Let me know if you are interested... glad to do it.

MARK

Feb 2, 2010, 07:26 PM
    That's what I'm here for...:)

No need to run the vent now...just want to use that AAV under the sink.

As always, I'm glad to draw up all you'll need to do, but again, you'll have to give me a day or two as I am super busy with freeze ups and no heat calls lately. I'm going to recommend 2 cleanouts and yes, you'll run a 2" drain line for best result!

Let me know if you are interested...glad to do it.

MARK
    Thanks Mark

I would love another drawing if @ all possible.Are the pics I sent OK?Also the one pic shows my 3" stack.. would it be possible to get a drawing on how to re plumb that as well? This is not at all priority so I understand your point... This is a favor to me so I do understand your position. If this does get forgotten though ( people get busy which is understandable) how do I get back where we left off without being rude.

Again... Big Thanks Mark :);):o

Feb 5, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonalberta View Post
    Hi all it's Rob again

Sorry to be back so soon but my next challenge is to plumb in my island sink,only thing is (of course)it is 12' from the main drain & vent.I am not sure if i plumb it the same way Mark taught me for my laundry room or if it would be totaly different.I have attached 2 pics----1 of where the island is to go & the other of the main stack which I'm thinking will have to be completely re plumbed.(I'm ok with that cause we get a clicking sound out of the stack when we run hot water).

Big thanks in advance
    Hi Mark

Don't know if this was forgotten or if you're still busy

Just a friendly reminder

Thanks much
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Hi Rob...

Never forgotton... for sure... just busy as we all are... :)

Hey, check out my drawings below. Let me know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Hi Rob...

Never forgotton...for sure...just busy as we all are...:)

Hey, check out my drawings below. Let me know if you have questions...

MARK

Thanks a million Mark

You saved me a pile of money & gained me a pile of experience.
    Oh and the pex pipe is not finished yet,I figured while I'm at it I might as well change out the copper to pex.. Havin' a lot of fun with this whole plumbing thing & thanks to you I can acually do it.I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go & was hopeing you wouldn't mind if I direct them to you.

Again I can't thank you enough

Cheers

Rob

Feb 6, 2010, 06:21 PM

Hi Mark

You said to run my drain into the 2" wye but the old sink drain is only 1 1/2".Can I reduce the 2" to 1 1/2" @ the wye or should I replace the old wye with a new one ?

Thanks in advance
    Rob
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Hey Rob...

Funny... I was thinking about that earlier... ;)

If this sink will have a disposal and get a lot of use then I would like to see you run 2" into the cabinet and then branch off the vertical with a 1.5" PTRAP and AAV. If you don't plan on this sink being the major household sink then 1.5" is plenty! Here, take off 2" to the first horizontal turn in the basement, install a 2" cleanout and then reduce to 1.5" to the sink/ptrap and vent!

Keep 'em coming as needed!

MARK

Feb 6, 2010, 06:41 PM

Ok that makes sense but where the drain goes into the wye @ the 3" stack the wye is only 1 1/2".Can I reduce from 2" to 1 1/2" @ the wye ?

Again thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
    That isn't a 2" pipe there off the 3"? If not, run it 1.5" and just be sure to install the cleanouts as mentioned. You'll be fine. I need glasses!

Hang those pipes every 3-4 feet maximum.

MARK

Feb 6, 2010, 07:18 PM

Was thinking of using an ABS REDUCING COUPLING 2 X 1 1/2
    ( shown in pic ) about 1" from wye on 3".Hope that's OK

thanks
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to plumb a sink in with a washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all Just wondering how to plumb a sink in with my washer.I would like to use our stainless steel kitchen sink instead of throwing it out.See pic below ( Big thanks to mark for the drawing )Sink would be to the left of the standpipe. Thanks in advance

How to plumb a bathtub utilizing former toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a concrete floor. Currently there are three toilets, and one sink. I have removed one of the toilets in an attempt to install tub/shower combo using the 4" opening the former toilet drained into. The opening of the tub drain sits in front of the former toilet opening. How can I plumb the...

Plumb a garage utility sink into existing washer plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am new and wondering if I can plumb a utility sink drain into a washing machine stand pipe? http://www.treemo.com/content/874630_2egnek0gmxuwi_dd.jpg The sink will be located to the left just past the wall. The drain pipe is has a trap just past where I cut the drywall out on the right. Can...

Plumb Basement Sink Directly Into Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a slop sink in my basement. I can place it right next to the vertical main stack, and can connect the sink drain directly to it above the point where it enters the slab. I would also vent the drain line. Would this be allowed (in general) by most codes? Would a check valve...

Venting Kitchen sink island [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a kitchen sink in an island remodel we are doing. Do I need to vent this? If so , How? Thanks for all the help.

View more questions Search