Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaybizz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 07:52 AM
    How do I locate a underground water leak
    I have water in my yard. How do I locate the water leak?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2010, 08:00 AM

You must first determine if this is a pressure or a drainage leak.
    Look on the face of your water meter.
    With EVERYTHING shut off is the little pointer on the dial turning?
    Let me know, Tom
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jan 28, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Hi! jaybizz, welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by jaybizz View Post
    i have water in my yard. How do I locate the water leak?
    If you suspect that water may be leaking from a broken pipe or fitting somewhere underground, here's how to know for sure:

1) Turn off every faucet, fixture, and appliance that uses water even the ice maker.

2) Open the water meter's cover so that you can see the gauge.

3) Mark the rim of the gauge where the needle is pointing (if there are several dials, mark the one that indicates 1-cubic-foot increments).

4) Leave the water shut off for 30 minutes, and then see if the needle has moved from the mark. If it has, your plumbing is leaking somewhere.

5) You can look for signs of a leak, such as sink holes or mushy areas of ground, but you may have to have a professional find it.

6) The pros have sound equipment to listen for leaks, you maybe able to rent one from a local rent-a-center.

K
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2010, 05:10 PM

First respond to Tom, and also follow KUXJ suggestion and I am attaching the link below it may help you to follow each clip, Thanks.

John

Water Shut-Off Valve for Home Water Conservation Tips: Home Water Conservation & Residential Tips | eHow.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker for underground water pump trips when a large volume of water is used [ 2 Answers ]

The breaker for the pump trips when the washer fills. Washer repair person said it is not the washer and pump repair person said the pump is working correctly. Breaker does not trip every time. Could it be a bad breaker?

Underground water leak [ 2 Answers ]

What do plumbers charge to fix a water leak that is under the ground?

Underground Water Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to run a water line from my house to the barn Behind my house (approx 30 feet run). I live in Connecticut. A couple of questions: 1) How deep do I have to lay this pipe? 2) What type of pipe do I use- regular CPVC? Schedule 40? Pex? other? 3) Do I have to cover the trench with...

Locate a bathtub leak [ 3 Answers ]

We have a continual wet spot in the front corner of the tub, and a leak in the living room ceiling periodically. How do we locate the leak?

A/c leak, how to locate? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a local A/C company come out and see why my unit wasn't cooling. I had already replace the filter, as I knew if it was dirty, the unit could ice up and not cool. They cleaned the coils (which I don't think was a problem) and put 2# of freon in. 3 weeks later the house was not cooling, so...

View more questions Search