Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Replacing Windows ?'s
    I'm looking at windows. Super good deal being offered in craigs list. $4 a square foot.

I'm measuring existing windows and they are coming with measurements just shy of the nearest foot mark.

For instance.

71" x 47" / 6' x 4'

70" x 35" / 6' x 3'

58" x 47-1/2"/ 5' x 4'

34" x 36" / 3' x 3'

So the question is. I buy the windows at 6' x 4' size/s right? Do them like a new install. By removing the existing window so all I have is a hole in the wall and the wood framing from the existing window. I should be fine? Or is this a PITA? I need to properly flash and weather proof all the way around the new windows of course.

On retro fit windows, they are ordered custom sized and you don't remove the entire existing window? So retro fit windows are easier but are expensive because they are custom size ordered.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing gapco windows under warranty [ 9 Answers ]

I have gapco windows and I have been in my house approximately 10 years. I believe my windows carried a 10yr warranty, can anyone tell me how to contact gapco to get replacement sashes.

Replacing casement windows [ 3 Answers ]

We have Andersen casement windows that are almost 20 years old. They've been nothing but trouble. Always replacing the cranks, don't seal well. I'd like to know can casement windows be replaced by another style? Some are of a large size and are 2 to 3 panels with the width being 48 to 63...

Replacing windows for older version [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering how you wipe absolutely everything off the computer so you can start again with an older version of windows. I have a lot of old games and I'm wondering how to get rid of windows xp and windows 2000 and replace it with windows 95

Replacing windows [ 3 Answers ]

My house is 20yrs old,should I replace my windows?

Replacing basement windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all. I want to replace the basement windows. My house is 5 years old and the basement windows are only single pane. I have changed windows before but not with metal surrounds. How is the metal window held in the concrete wall? What kind of fasteners do you use to install the windows? ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.