Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg1134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 07:43 AM
    16 Year old daughter hates father
    I believe that my 16 year old daughter would not shed a tear if I died tomorrow...

I believe that the problems really started several years ago when I had to move my family from Chicago to Florida for work. Since this move my daughter openly blamed me for taking her away from her friends - according to her "the only friends she will ever have".

My daughter is very much an introvert who rather than socializing spends all of her time playing online games with other kids. Typically she spends 6 hours a day online during the week and longer on weekends. My Wife and I have made several efforts to cut this back and always are encouraging her to get involved with "real" people with no success. She asserts that her only friends are her online friends.

I personally feel like my daughter has no respect for me whatsoever and it’s really frustrating because I honestly feel that I try to be the best father to her that I can. For the most part she gets everything she wants but cannot even respond to me with common courtesy.

Examples of issues include:
    1) In the morning I am up before her. When I say "good morning" instead of getting a response - I am ignored.

2) Frequently I attempt to be involved in her life and ask her about school, her online games, etc. If I get an answer it’s a curt one or two word answer and I feel that I was wrong because I interrupted her.

3) Often when my Wife and I go somewhere - my daughter says "bye Mom" and doesn't acknowledge that I am a person too.

4) I make a point to do things that my daughter asks of me (always through her Mom as she will not talk to me) and never, ever get so much as a thank you.

I really want to have a better relationship with my daughter and know that my approach today is not working at all.

I am very proud of my daughter in many ways and often tell her. She has had straight As in school since 3rd grade and is very pretty.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Maybe the 3 of you need to sit down and discuss this as a family. The family unit doesn't seem to be functioning.

16 is a rough age, but she doesn't seem to be taking it out on her Mother, so in her mind there must have been something you did and you need to get to the bottom of it.

I myself wouldn't tolerate rudeness, without an explanation:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 29 year old daughter hates me [ 5 Answers ]

I was an alcoholic/addict when my daughter was a young teenager. I went into rehab and have been clean for 15 years. She is single and has two children. All of them live in my house. She pays $200 per month rent. For that $200, she has the downstairs that includes a bath and a kitchen as well as...

My 30 year old daughter hates me [ 2 Answers ]

Does ANYONE please have any idea why my much loved 30 year old daughter appeaers to hate me and has got her husband to stop me going to their house. They have 3 boys and they know this would badly hurt me. It has been getting steadily worse over the years ever since her father left us. She is now...

19 year old daughter says she hates me [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a conversation with my almost 19 year old daughter regarding my dislike for her boyfriend - He has hit her, he calls her names and he recently caused her to get evicted from her apartment for breaking down her door. She got angry with me about my opinion of him and hung up on me. I...

My 22 year old daughter hates me [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 22 year old daughter that hates me. She was asked to move out of our home after she was repeatedly disrespectful and rude. She is dating a guy who is no good for her. He is 19 and a high school drop out. She lies continually about her family. She sells the gifts that I have given her. It...

View more questions Search