Ask
    ButterNose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Is 16 and 20 legal for dating
    Is 16 and 20 legal
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2010, 07:47 AM

This question as been asked and answered many times. There are no laws regulating an age gap in dating. However, if the relationship becomes sexual, legal issues come into play.

From my perspective, a relationship between 16 and 20 yr olds is at the edge. You are both at different levels of development to the point where you should have very little in common. What do the 16 yr old's parents think about the relationship? Is it actual or just thinking about it?

As for the legality, without knowing where you are (and I never understand why someone would ask a question about law without giving a general location) we can't give the specific laws.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 08:36 AM

Yes 16 and 20, a closer call, perhaps a very immature 20 year old, hard to see him in 2 years when he is 22 taking her to a senior prom at high school

And the next few years will be getting harder as both mature to different levels and change.

But from a legal stand point, nothing to stop them from dating, unless the 16 year old parents say no,
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 11:10 AM

Make sure that the 16 year old has parental consent to be dating the 20 year old. In the U.S. there aren't any laws against dating, but there are against sexual activity. I agree with the above that 16 and 20 are completely different levels of maturity- or at least, they should be. If you want to date a 16 year old, and it's okay with the parents, date. Just make sure you don't touch each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age dating [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl, and I like this guy who is 18. I was wondering if it would be against the law in Newfoundland ,Canada to date him..?

Legal dating age [ 2 Answers ]

In New York State, is it legal for a 20 year old female to date a 16 or 17 year old male?

Legal dating [ 6 Answers ]

Can it be legal in any way for a 16 year old to date a 21 year old?

Legal dating [ 32 Answers ]

If your parent or guardian gives you the permission to be wit someone who is over the age of 18, would it be considered breaking the law? Will he or she go to jail?

Legal age of dating [ 3 Answers ]

IM 17 and I don't live at home with my parents so what is my age limit to date someone?

View more questions Search