Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockinrobin2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 10:01 PM
    I have a very sick goldfish, she is 15 years old, for the past couple of weeks she ha
    I have a very sick goldfish, she is 15 years old, for the past couple of weeks she has been laying on the bottom of the tank not coming up for food, she has a film over one of her eyes and I noticed that same eye is protruding a little, not as active as she once was, then today I went to check on her and she was swimming sideways and then she started doing spasm like flips and swimming upside down then she lays at the bottom again. Please let me if there is anything I can do for her, cause I don't want her to suffer. She is old I know but she is the only fish I have, she is in a 10 gallon tank.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 10:04 PM

It sounds to me like she's on her way out. Fifteen years is a long time for a goldfish.

There's not much you can do, just make sure the water is clean, maybe put in some antibacterial drops to help with the film on her eyes.

I have fish but I'm not an expert on them, my area of expertise is more with our four legged friends and birds.

I wish I had better advice for you. Maybe someone else will come by with some suggestions. Check your thread often to see if anyone else has responded.

Good luck. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:09 AM

Goldfish can actually live up to 50 years old if not older... Sounds like popeye... with a bacterial infection. Get a broad spectrum antibiotic... Tetracycline does a pretty good job. I'd hate to tell you to put her in a sick tank, sometimes the stress of moving the fish from that tank to another will do them in... Maybe take your other fish out for the treatments and leave your goldie in familure surroundings.
    abbisnews Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Wow... sounds like an OLD goldfish you've got there! Google is a great way to find more on goldfish.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish are sick [ 1 Answers ]

Now just this morning I realized how sick my fish are when just yesterday they were fine. I had noticed a little red but not as bad as today... One out of my 6 goldfish died already, the one I had for 4 yrs, 3 almost dead barely even moving. Some fish's tails are bloody red while others are almost...

Can I evict my tenant after only a couple weeks [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant's rent was due on the 1st of the month. His phone has been disconnected . My son went to his house last night and asked the daughter to have him call me. He will not return my calls. I tried his cell phone, which I guess was a work cell phone and the guy whom answered the phone said...

Positive test couple of weeks pregnant [ 16 Answers ]

I'm nearly 2 weeks late and was scared todo a pregnancy test due to what happened last time with my mum! I took a test this morning andit came back positive!! I sooo excited but sooo nervous about telling my mum, my boyfriends family will be over the moon though!! My boyfriend is sooo happy to, I...

Sick goldfish! [ 4 Answers ]

I started with one goldfish before getting my second. When I got goldfish #2, he was bigger than goldfish #1. I noticed that my goldfish #2 would get "bullied" by #1. #1 would like to push him and when I fed them #2 always would just sit at the bottom of the tank, while #1 ate a lot. #2 became...

View more questions Search