Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teecee082 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2004, 04:53 AM
    Sink sprayer stuck HELP!
    HELP!! I am a single mom of three and my sink sprayer is stuck on so I cannot use the kitchen sink. I am fairly "handy" and able to use tools. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2004, 06:47 AM
    Re: Sink sprayer stuck HELP!
    It just sprays when you open the faucet, right? For a quick fix, with the water turned off, cut the hose off, jam a bolt into the end of the hose, and clamp the hose to the bolt. The bolt needs to fit tightly and have an unthreaded section next to the head. Then the next time you are out anywhere that has pluming supplies, buy a new hose sprayer. Even Wal-Mart likely has then, if not, a hardware or home center. The connection to the faucet may vary. Take a good look at the old one before buying a new one. Maybe even take it off and take it with you to match up the new one. Old fittings are sometimes hard to get loose. Clean up the outside and apply any light oil you have. Spray penetrating oil is best. If nothing else an ammonia cleaner. Tapping on a fitting with a hammer will help loosen it. Take you time and work with it. Find a wrench that fits it. If you round off the fitting, or twist it off, you may make a big project of it.

I don't think you should need to shut the water to the sink off, but if you do, there my be valves in the water line close to it. If not, use the main shut off where the water comes into the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2004, 08:04 AM
    I really hate to disagree with labman because he has given such good advice in the past but the problem doesn't lay in the spray unit. You have water coming out of just one side, right? You have a diverter that's stuck. Let me explain what happens.  The sprayer is under pressure all the time when you open the faucet.  The water comes out of the spout until you open the sprayer.  When you turn on the sprayer the diverter closes and shuts off the flow to the spout.  Your diverter is stuck in the shut off position if no water comes out of the spout.  Capping off the sprayer with a bolt and a hose clamp will simply leave you in the same spot you were in before. If the water comes out of the spout and not the spray head then unscrew the spray head. Turn on the faucet and hold your thumb over the open hose. If the diverter's working thenthe water will divert to the spout and the screens in the sprayer are clogged. But the way you described it you couldn't get water out of the spout. How do we repair this? Not knowing the make and model of the faucet,  I can only give you general instructions.  For more I will have to know what I'm dealing with.   First shut the water off under the cabinet.  Then open up the faucet to the point where you can remove the spout.  The diverter assembly  is the gismo located at the base of the spout.   Clean out any trash you may find down there and take the diverter assembly into a plumbing shop for a replacment.  Reassemble everything, test and you're back in business.  Your only other option would be to replace the faucet.  As a last resort before I tore everything up I would beat on the base of the spout,  with something that won't mar the chrome, and attempt to jar the diverter back into position so it will start to work.  If you wish detailed instructions, give me the name brand, (a model# wouild be nice) and about how old it is.  Hope this helps, (Sorry Lab!)  
    teecee082 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2004, 10:46 AM
    Well, I somewhat determined and understand what you are saying. Befoe I logged on to read your reply, I decided to investigate a little further. I did bang a bit on the spout and housings but to no avail (banging is ALWAYS my first attempt)! So I unscrewed the sprayer. The water still keeps spraying out of what is now the hose. When I close off the hose (w/my finger or force it closed by placing it tightly down on the bottom of the sink Viola! The water returns to the spout... now what my question is... do I need to now replace the hole sprayer unit or could it just be the sprayer head?? I'm now thinking as I am typing how dumb that sounds it probably is all one unit right?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2004, 11:09 AM
    It would only take a few moments of your time to look. You might even try soaking the old head in vinegar or even toilet bowl cleaner. If it is sticking because it is limed up, that might fix it.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2004, 11:15 AM
    On the diverter. What I am familiar with must be a cheaper version where squeezing the lever on the sprayer merely opens the valve allowing the water to come out both the tap and sprayer.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2004, 12:45 PM
    Good girl! :D You have just isolated the problem. Ya lucked out. You won't have to tear the faucet down. Your diverter's doing what it should. The problem is in the sprayer. You have three options open. Sprayers are not all that expensive to replace or you can try tearing into the sprayer,( it's not all one unit) and cleaning it or as labman suggested you can soak the sprayer in Lime Away, CLR or whatever you have to dissolve mineral buildup. Three cheers and kudos for sticking with it. ;D Tom
    slianne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2004, 07:21 AM
    Sink sprayer stuck HELP!
    Hi,
    I am also having problems with my sink sprayer. When using the sprayer I get half pressure in the sprayer and half in the faucet - which makes the sprayer not very useful. I did the suggested tests and the water all comes out the hose when I take the sprayer off and all out the faucet when I close it with my finger. When I put the sprayer back on, it works properly the first time and then goes back to low pressure. Also, sometimes moving the bar from hot to cold will get the pressure working properly. This has been happening since we replaced the whole faucet and sprayer a couple of years ago. I can't find a brand anywhere but it was bought at home depot. I'm guessing we have a faulty sprayer - would be grateful for any advice on how to solve the annoyance and the wasted water. Thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 19, 2004, 07:36 AM
    Sink sprayer stuck HELP!
    Sounds more like a diverter that's sticking. If the spray head was faulty it would leak or not open up at all. To get at the diverter First shut the water off under the cabinet. Then open up the faucet to the point where you can remove the spout. The spout will pull up and off exposing the diverter at the base. The diverter assembly is the gismo located at the base of the spout. Clean out any trash you may find down there and take the diverter assembly into a plumbing shop for a replacment. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
    slianne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2004, 07:40 AM
    Sink sprayer stuck HELP!
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    Harpooner1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2004, 12:07 PM
    I feel this string is taking me in the right direction but my sink does something a little different. Turning on the hot or cold water starts a rapid on/off of water flow causing the entire faucet to shudder (can here it through the house) for about 5 seconds and then the water flows normally. Described it to the guy at my local Lowe's and he recommeded an air vent tube... But it only happens at my kitchen faucet. Also my sprayer stopped working. You press it and a short spray of water for a second and it stops... no water comes out of the faucet either, not until you turn the water handle off and then the faucet works again, with the shudder...

Is this my diverter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated... Can afford a plumber so I forge ahead :-)

-James :-/
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2004, 01:47 PM
     Sure sounds like you have a little trash lodged in the diverter seat causing the diverter to vibrate every time water passes it.   Try this, remove the sprayer head and turn on the water.  Water will now come out of the open hose.  Now put your thumb over the open hose and close it off.  Water should now be coming out of the spout.  If it doesn't vibrate then I would suppect the sprayer head. If it continues to vibrate then  you will have to take the faucet apart and check the diverter for anything that might be down there.   To get at the diverter  First shut the water off under the cabinet.  Then open up the faucet to the point where you can remove the spout.  The spout will pull up and off exposing the diverter at the base. The diverter assembly  is the little gismo located at the base of the spout.   Clean out any trash you may find down there and reassemble.   Hope this helps.  Regards Tom
    dvhamm Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 12:38 PM
    I have the opposite problem. When I turn on the faucet nothing happens until I use the sprayer which works great. How do I unstick the dirverter?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2005, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dvhamm
    I have the opposite problem. When I turn on the faucet nothing happens until I use the sprayer which works great. How do I unstick the dirverter?
    I can answer better if I knew the brand name of your faucet and what type it is. One handle or two knobs? As a rule the diverter is located under the spout. To be more specific I'll need more details. Regards, Tom

Sep 6, 2005, 11:02 AM
    You would think the manafacturer would put the company name somewhere in sight, but such is not the case. It has two handles, is washerless, and was probably the house brand for Builders Square.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2005, 11:24 AM
    You would think the manafacturer would put the company name somewhere in sight, but such is not the case. It has two handles, is washerless, and was probably the house brand for Builders Square.

You gave me a place to start. Remove the spout and pull it up and out. Now look down at the base. The diverter may look like a skirt over or a small flap in the base but that's where a diverter's located. Remove it and clean out all the openings. If it looks worn or beat up take it in to a plumbing shop and have the counter man see if he has a replacemrnt. Good luck, Tom

Sep 6, 2005, 11:50 AM
    :confused: When I remove the spout there is a white plastic tube that sticks up a little over an inch. It has two notches opposed, and reasonable force does not pull it up. It's base appears to be sealed around the bottom. I can pull harder but Dad said I was as strong as a bull and almost as smart when I sheared off a headbolt on a motorcycle, so I hesitate. Opening the sprayer trigger, and applying air pressure through the tube also has no effect. Is the next step shopping?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2005, 04:40 PM
    :confused: When I remove the spout there is a white plastic tube that sticks up a little over an inch. It has two notches opposed, and reasonable force does not pull it up. It's base appears to be sealed around the bottom. I can pull harder but Dad said I was as strong as a bull and almost as smart when I sheared off a headbolt on a motorcycle, so I hesitate. Opening the sprayer trigger, and applying air pressure through the tube also has no effect. Is the next step shopping?
    Is the next step shopping? Probably, if I can't get a brand name and some idea how old it is or a model I'm flying blind. What kind of bike? I used to build choppers up in Tampa back in the 60's. Regards, Tom

Sep 7, 2005, 06:59 AM
    OK! Ive disassembled the unit. Small stick-on lable inside base plate says:
    CR4827
    GBA 87-002659N
    Made in Tiwan
    Likely it was installed around 1987. Tried to take photos and insert them. However I am also computer illiterate so I can't figure out how to load them.
    The unfortunate bike was a 350cc Matchless popper. Great dirt bike. Also was riding a '36 VL Flathead with a suicide clutch. Dad had an old Henderson square four, and an Indian Squaw like he had ridden on the San Diego PD. If I could sell any of them now I could afford new plumbing, or at least a plumber. But I coulden't get any better help.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2005, 07:29 AM
    OK! Ive disassembled the unit. Small stick-on lable inside base plate says:
    CR4827
    GBA 87-002659N
    Made in Tiwan
    Likely it was installed around 1987. Tried to take photos and insert them. However I am also computer illiterate so I can't figure out how to load them.
    The unfortunate bike was a 350cc Matchless popper. Great dirt bike. Also was riding a '36 VL Flathead with a suicide clutch. Dad had an old Henderson square four, and an Indian Squaw like he had ridden on the San Diego PD. If I could sell any of them now I could afford new plumbing, or at least a plumber. But I coulden't get any better help.
    I might not be able to help with your diverter problem but back in the 60's I was a outlaw biker in Tampa. I was VP of The Evangelists Motor Cycle Club.
    Ibuilt Harley choppers and rode a chopped 1948 Indian Super Chief. This was a righteous scooter that had a springer front end that I raked out 5 degrees and extended out 4",( too much and it was hard to handle in trafic.) 21" Avon front wheel, changed a right hand tank shift to a left hand jock shift and sawed the bottom half of the treadle clutch off, installed a return spring on the top half and had me a suicide clutch. My riding daze are long gone but remembered with fond memorys. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly sink sprayer [ 3 Answers ]

When I first start using the sink sprayer, it emits a foul, rotten egg like smell for about the first 10-15 seconds. The house is less than 3 years old. We are the only owners. When I let up off the sprayer, there is no "kickback" like I have experienced with other sprayers. Any ideas? Thanks,...

Kitchen sink sprayer [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer will spray but only a trickle comes out. I seem to have no pressure. Can you help me fix this.

Sink Sprayer Help [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here's my problem about 6 months ago my sprayer broke on my kitchen sink and I just got aroudn to replace it. Before it broke I had no problems whatsoever with it. Now I installed a new sprayer head and the problem started immediately. What happens is the water runs fine out of the faucet but as...

Sink sprayer popped off [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the sink sprayer nozzle on my kitchen sink about 3 months ago and it seemed to be working OK (with the exception of less water pressure than before it broke). Then, one day the nozzle popped right off when my son turned on the faucet (Moen single lever). Water comes out of the hose, but...

Leaky Sink Sprayer [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I am completely non-mechanical... a bookworm... never even changed a tire (I did fix a lock once). With that as a preface... the sprayer head on my kitchen sink leaks. It is a pretty simple problem, as it is plastic (first problem) and it is leaking along the split in the front where the two...

View more questions Search