Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Put pipe thread on abs to cast iron pipe threads?
    I have a 1-1/2" cast iron show drain. will attach to 1-1/2" abs male threaded coupling. Do I need to put pipe thread or plummers puty on the threads?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 07:35 PM

Plumbers putty is no good for threaded joints. When you have plastic(abs,pvc) threaded joints, you need to use teflon tape on the threaded portion. Do not use liquid pipe dope, or sealant. Teflon tape only(on plastic threads).
    robbber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 11:38 PM
    OK great... so put on teflon tape on the male abs threads which will thread into cast iron... thanks.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 04:55 PM

Yep you do that and you should be all set. Make sure that the cast iron female threads are clean and you'll be just fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Bonding cast iron pipe with abs - [ 8 Answers ]

Hello every one my name i Cezar and I'm new to this forum. I'm about to do make shower pan in the hi-rise concrete building. I'm using schluter drain assembly which has female 2" ending. The stack drain 2" pipe is sitting in concrete floor sort of loosely. The hole in the concrete floor is about 4"...

Connecting pvc pipe to cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How can 3" PVC pipe be connected to 3" no hub cast iron pipe?

Pipe type from cast iron to ABS or SDR? [ 4 Answers ]

I got very helpful information from speedball regarding the test plug to be placed at the bottom of the pipe being laid from the house to the sewer connection in our conversion from septic to sewer. I have 2 more questions- 1. We have a cast iron 4" pipe leaving from the house and need to connect...

Can you connect a cast iron closet flange to an ABS Pipe? [ 9 Answers ]

I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp. Model # C44-420). Is it at all...

View more questions Search