Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpenek Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Pipe type from cast iron to ABS or SDR?
    I got very helpful information from speedball regarding the test plug to be placed at the bottom of the pipe being laid from the house to the sewer connection in our conversion from septic to sewer. I have 2 more questions-
    1. We have a cast iron 4" pipe leaving from the house and need to connect it (underground) to the new pipe we will run from that point to where it connects into the pipe coming from the sewer lateral. I have been recommended to use ABS (schedule?) or SDR 35?? Which is preferred, easier to work with, less expensive, etc.
    2. Also what type of coupling to use for the connection from the cast iron to this new pipe. It will be underground. I have heard of Mission or Fern? I think these may be rubber with clamping bands? Will these hold up underground? Thanks again. Lynne
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 19, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Hy Lynne,

1. We have a cast iron 4" pipe leaving from the house and need to connect it (underground) to the new pipe we will run from that point to where it connects into the pipe coming from the sewer lateral. I have been recommended to use ABS (schedule?) or SDR 35?? Which is preferred, easier to work with, less expensive, etc.
    SDR,( Standard Diminsion Ratio) is a term and not a pipe. Didn't you
    Mean PVC?
    I recommend using PVC Scedule#40. We haven't used ABS down here since the 60's. It didn't hold up as well as PVC on rough ins in the hot Florida sun.
    2. Also what type of coupling to use for the connection from the cast iron to this new pipe. It will be underground. I have heard of Mission or Fern? I think these may be rubber with clamping bands? Will these hold up underground? Thanks again.
    While Fernco does have a neoprene coupling,(see image) on the market I recommend a Shielded Couplinhg, (see image) to transition from cast iron to plastic.
    A Neaprene coupling can sag and bell while a shielded coupling is the more ridgid and gives better support. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 09:39 PM
    You can also go with ABS. It is inexpensive and sold in 20' sections. All can be purchased in Home Depot or Lowe's. Fern fittings or Flex Seal fittings are both very easy to use and approved for underground installation. Tie s.s. clamps with torque wrench preset at 60lbs. These fittings are made to fit just about any common pipe size you want to install.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 20, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Yes you can go with ABS as Mil0o suggested but we haven't used ABS down here since the 60's. It didn't hold up as well as PVC on rough ins in the hot Florida sun. When we armed out to pick up the kitchen sink the sun would heat the black ABS so much it would droop right down to the ground. We found PVC to be the more adaptable to our area then ABS. Perhaps in a more northern area it would be acceptable but not here in Florida. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Now, you talking "hot", Tom ! :) We work exclusively with black, foam core, ABS in So.California. It is exposed to direct So.Cal sun for some time before we wrap - but I never seen it bend as you describe. Maybe FL sun is more intense...

Anyway, he plans on using it underground so sun should not play significant role here...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to cut cast iron pipe. [ 6 Answers ]

Im trying to get a fairly straigh cut on the cast iron 2 inch pipe that I accessed through a hole in the concrete foundation. Short of making the hole entirely to large to use my saws all, I don't know what to do!!

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

CAN anyone tell me the best way to cut some 5" cast iron pipe in place? I'm in the middle of a remodel and looking for the easiest and fastest way to cut it so I can install PVC up to the old cast iron via a flexible boot. Thanks , Matt

PVC to cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am cutting out a 4 foot section of 4" cast iron stack pipe and installing a pvc cleanout and a y section of pvc near the top. I have already installed riser clamps on top and bottom. What can I use to adapt the pvc to the cast iron? I have seen some guys say rubber donut types or with...

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I need to cut a 4 3/4 OD" cast iron pipe in order to install a plastic T (4") to the cast iron pipe. I am installing a toilet in the basement. The cast iron pipe is in the ground and I have already cut the concrete.

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

View more questions Search