Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadesmarais Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Leather furniture
    Hi.

We have a 10+ year old Natuzzi soft leather sofa & chair that have two spots the size of a large football from a gradual build up of residue from natural hair/head residue on the backs where heads rest!

We have followed the manufacturer's cleaning instructions (essentially a soft damp cloth) but while this works on most other spots, this approach won't do it. Have read different blogs & helps, but there are several and they sometimes are contradictory (eg: use of saddle soap vs mink oil. Any tips?

Also, some of the seats are showing signs of drying out as the shine is dulled, with lightning of the original burgundy color with some minor cracking starting to show through.

Thanks in advance.

... André (cadesmarais)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 10:39 AM

I don't know what to do about the staining but I know that your leather furniture definitely needs some TLC with a leather restorer product. My sofa and loveseat are black and of fine Italian leather. At least once a year I use a leather restore lotion and slobber it on good and let dry and wipe off the excess. My furniture has had TLC from the get go so it has never cracked and feels as supple as it did when new and it's going on 9 years old now. Leather furniture needs remoistured on a regular basis especially if your home is in a low humidity range as the leather dries out just as our skin does in the winter in low humidity situations. Use some restorer now before the leather is really old and cracked.
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Dec 28, 2009, 06:55 AM

Prevention would have been the easiest remedy: regularly washing the entire piece with something like Murphy's Oil Soap. I would still use the Murphy's, then follow-up with Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner (two separate products).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History of leather top furniture [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me the history of leather top furniture, was it due to the lack of other materials during a war or something?

Cleaning leather furniture [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove super glue from a leather couch?

Dog chewing leather furniture, is there a product to apply on furniture? [ 5 Answers ]

My 12 week lab puppy loves to chew on our leather furnitre. We have many toys and try to detur him from biting with introducing a toy when he bites the leather furniture and also tried frozen wash cloths. We use a firm NO! But almost seems to get more playful and thinks it's a game. Can I use...

Leather topped furniture repair [ 1 Answers ]

We have several pieces of old leather-topped furniture (end tables, coffee table, etc). One piece has a fairly recent water spot on it. Is there any way to remove/repair that spot?

Leather Furniture Repair [ 3 Answers ]

How do I repair a huge hole in leather furniture??

View more questions Search