Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnwoody Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Can this happen?
    I want to know how my daughters step father can be on disability and get a disability for my daughter $800.00 a month I did not think a step father could claim her and when I pay $400.00 a month child support this is in North Carolina
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 01:05 PM

I'm really not sure on how people qualify and the amount is calculated for disability (at least not really sure on the specifics). It might be based on how many people are in the household or that may have something to do with it. But like I said, I'm not sure enough to say that is the reason for it. You can call the social security office and ask them because they will either know the exact answer or be able to direct you in the right direction. Are you sure that the money he is receiving is because of your daughter?
    johnwoody Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
    From what I was told that since he gets a disability check monthly and he is married to my daughters mother that my daughter can get it as well along with another child that she has even though he is not the father... they wanted me to sign my rights away so this could happen and I would not do it...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:49 PM

From the Social Security Website:

Child
    We use the term "Child" to include your biological child or any other child who can inherit your personal property under State law or who meets certain specific requirements under the Social Security Act; such as:

A legally adopted child,
    An equitably adopted child,
    A stepchild, or
    A grandchild

Apparently the children are his auxiliary dependent and he can in essence "double dip" from both you and the government. Now if the children lived with you he could not do this but since they live with his wife he can get away with it.

Sad but true if they've approved it, they probably approved it.

You can go down to the SS office and see for yourself if this is okay or not but chances are that they will tell you he can get away with it. But if you do show them you pay the $400 a month towards the one child they just MAY reduce that child's monthly benefit that SS pays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will happen? [ 2 Answers ]

I have natural ginger hair but I am wanting to dye it dark brown. Does anyone know the risks? Maybe it will go green or bright red? Please tell me! Thanks :)

What could happen? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi my son has been hanging out with bad friends. He told me a story and its making me stressed out and worried. My son was hainging out with them a lot recently and he knew they were arrested/charged before, and they have known each other for a bit of time. So one day they call him and ask him...

What can happen [ 2 Answers ]

What will happen id a 17 year old boy ask out a 13 year old girl?:)

What will happen? [ 3 Answers ]

I am only 17 years old. I was with my husband for 2 years before we got married in April of this year. I got pregnant at 16 by my husband. He cheated through text messaging and he is leaving me my one year old daughter and I am 8 months pregnant? What kind of help could I get? I NEED HELP

What will happen next? [ 4 Answers ]

What is going to happen next if the court ordered my child's father and I to go to mediation, and it was canceled because he didn't pay his part of it.(It's concerning custody and child support)? Also he is really behind in child support and this is a plot to try to get out of paying it. Ha Ha

View more questions Search