Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlschrack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
    How do I train my dog to eat from an elevated feeder?
    My sheltie refuses to eat or drink from the new elevated feeder I purchased. If I take the bowls out of the feeder and place them on the floor in front of it he will eat and drink. I have tried treats in the food bowl and leaving the bowls in the feeder. He didn't eat or drink for over 24 hrs. I bought the feeder because he started making big messes with his food and bletches a lot after eating. Any suggestions on how to train him to eat from the feeder?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:42 PM

Start with something not quite as high.
    Put his bowls on top of a thick book and get him to eat from that first, then gradually make it higher.

He may just not like the feeling of eating up high, you can buy doggy floor mats to put under their bowls to stop the mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got a new dog and it won't eat.how will I get it to eat? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got a new dog 1 day ago to be exact; she is 8 years old.. I have tried feeding it and it won't eat or drink.. If it really doesn't eat, how long will I wait till I bring her to the vet?! :(

How to potty train my dog? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I go to school everyday and I already paid for this really really cute 6 week old and me and my dad gone to see the puppy and then we paid 50 pound deposit and then in 2 weeks I'm giving 200 pound ANYWAY lol :D when I'm getting him he's going to be 8 weeks old and he's not potty trained and...

How to train a dog? [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancé has a black lab and a pitbull, both rescued. I use to think that the pitbull didn't like me any longer due to my pregnancy but after giving her extra attention she came around. The pitbull is well trained and she is very lovable. The new problem I have is with the black lab. We are...

I need to house train my dog without a crate.its me or the dog. [ 3 Answers ]

Iam in need of some very necessary advice.I have a six month old Pugshire.She is very affectionate and playfull.My girlfriend has just given birth and my pup is not house trained.My entire house is a wee wee pad to her.My girlfriend is fed up but I will never in a million years get rid of my pup.I...

How to train my dog to walk on a lead [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have a 12 week old tyme bulldog that won't walk on a lead she will be allowed out in 4 weeks so I want to get ready and teacher her to walk on a lead now I have tried making her walk by holding food in front of het but she gets bored and lies down :confused: thanks twinkel xx

View more questions Search