Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VLO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Forclosed house does not sell at auction, who do I pay rent to?
    I live in California, The house I rent has gone into foreclosure & is going up for auction next week. I am covered by a lease but am not sure who I now pay rent to? My rent is do the day after the auction. Do I continue to pay my landlord or the finace company?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2009, 01:39 PM

First, what makes you think you are covered by a lease? Generally, a foreclosure voids any resediential lease.

Are you in contact with the lender? I would have someone ttend the auction to see what happens. If the house is not sold, then contact the lender to make rental payment arrrangements.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 01:41 PM

Actually you are no longer covered by a lease, it ended at the date of the foreclosure.
    1. the landlord no longer owns or has any interest in the home.
    2. since it did not sell to anyone else, normally the bank takes ownership for the money it is owed on the property.

The good news they have to give you at least a 60 day notice to evict you.
    Bad news, they do not have your deposit, so the old landlord (who has no money) is the one you will have to go back to for the deposit back.

You need to contact the bank and make rent arrangements with them, if they want to rent it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't pay mortgage and trying to sell house. [ 8 Answers ]

Hey any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated... I bought a home about 6 months ago... In just making ends meet I owe two months on my mortgage and so I've put house on market to sell because I don't want to get deeper into debt... I need to sell within 4 months and I don't want to...

Sibling will not pay rent on inherited house [ 3 Answers ]

My mother left her house to me and my sisters. It was paid off at time of her death. My sister has lived in the house for two years and never paid rent. How do we force her to pay rent or get her to purchase house or move?

Renter in a foreclosure house, Do I need to pay rent? [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a notice on my door that the house I am renting is going up for auction. My landlord had never given my any notice of the situation. Do I have to keep paying rent?

Unsanitary house should I pay rent [ 2 Answers ]

I rent a room from my boyfreinds cousin. Since I've moved in I had to clean up all their mess and I'm sick of it last month the bathroom ceiling fell and I had to clean the unsanitary water that fell from upstairs toilet. I cannot go to the landlord because they never told them I was living there...

Buying house, been evicted, pay rent [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord has been trying to sell the house I live in for a year. He told me to move out on the first of January. I did not and paid him rent for the month. He took me to court to evict and gave me 30 days. In the mean time, I gotten financing and all is approved. We are supposed to sign the...

View more questions Search