Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhryze Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Renter in a foreclosure house, Do I need to pay rent?
    I just received a notice on my door that the house I am renting is going up for auction. My landlord had never given my any notice of the situation. Do I have to keep paying rent?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Legally you have to pay rent up to the month it is being sold.
    You may wish to discuss this with the landlord and see if you can work out some agreement
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 08:24 PM
    If the property is being foreclosed, it remains the owner's property until the property is sold at auction, and you owe the owner rent until that day. In some states, auctions take place on the first Tuesday of each month. So it is possible that you could have 'two owners' wanting rent, so you have to be smart and look out for yourself. Does the notice on your door say what date the property will be sold? Keep in mind, the owner could pay the lender and have the sale date postponed. Again, read the notice; get names and phone numbers of anyone involved so you can find out what is going on. The owner/landlord should be your best source. Remember: trust, but verify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House foreclosure rent money due [ 4 Answers ]

I am a landlord and my investment property is in the 1st stage of foreclosure. I am looking to reinstate it, but my tenants are refusing to pay rent until they find out what is going on. Can they withhold money? Can they live there rent free because of the situation? Please advise.

Foreclosure advise I'm the RENTER [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting a home that is being foreclosed I can not get any information from the landlord or the bank in regards to WHO owns the home now the bank or him? Do I still need to pay rent? I feel that I'm unstable because the landlord has NOT paid for 4 months now, am I just giving him FREE money? ...

Renter of foreclosure [ 3 Answers ]

I am a renter who is in a forclosed home, a realtor came by and offered cash for keys which I accepted to get out in 15 days, I signed contract then he handed me a 30 days notice for property, I would rather have the 30 days instead of the cash so my kids can finish school year here, can I cancel ...

Renter in a foreclosure house [ 4 Answers ]

I am a renter of a home in Arizona. My lease is through November 2007. The owner passed away. The family informed me that the house is going into foreclosure if they cannot sell it. If the house goes into foreclosure can the bank break my lease?

Renter eviction due to owner foreclosure [ 17 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house through a property management company in Dallas, Texas and have 2 months left on our lease. I always pay rent early. I just found out that the owner of the property is apparently not paying their mortgage and may be going into foreclosure. I do not have any formal...

View more questions Search