Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GamingBunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Three legged bunny
    18 months ago my rabbit, Clive, had to have his front right leg amputated, following an accident I don't know the details of (my ex boyfriend was looking after him while I sorted a place out). At the time the vets and I decided it was far too risky to try and fix. He was 6 months old. Now 2 years old Im concerned of the possible impact on his quality of life.. Ill happily care for him in whatever capacity as long as he's happy - me and My new BF even got him a playmate, Jack, who he spends hours grooming! They're both house rabbits so have lots of attention and contact with us and our other pets. I asked the vets about possible implications, but they've only dealt with Bunnies with hind legs missing!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 12:48 AM

Most animals can learn to adapt really well with a missing limb, I can't imagine rabbits being any different other than the way they move (hopping not walking)

Does he hop about OK still?
    Or does he do the bunny crawl? Mine do the little bunny crawl where they walk like a dog if they are approaching something they are unsure of.

I'd just keep an eye on his front leg, every week or so just lay him down and make sure it moves freely to check for things like arthritis (which you shouldn't have to worry about for a few years!)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 01:42 AM

I agree with the above.

I have witnessed myself animals even dogs which have a lot more weight to carry. Actually getting on quite well with only three.

You need to stop worrying. Why worry about implications that are not there. Not quite sure why you are?

By the sounds of it. Your rabbit is happy and the playmate is happy. That is all you can ask for. Right?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2009, 11:36 AM

Rabbits mainly use their hind legs. They jump with them, scratch with them, even dig with them (watch some time, you'll see, most of the work is done with the back legs, the front legs only loosen the dirt when they dig).

If your bunny grooms his pal, seems happy, then he's fine. If he was feeling pain or not happy, you'd know it.

I think it's great that you got him a buddy. Rabbits are social animals and two is always better then one.

I'd love pictures. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Three-legged giraffe ornament [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has had this unusual 3-legged giraffe ornament for a number of years. She says it made around the 1960's. It stands 25cm high but it has no markings underneath. Can anyone please shed a little more light on it. Thanks

Bow legged, will it ever hurt as he ages? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, my dog is an adopted 6 year old Maltese. He was extremely overweight (I'm talking 15lbs to a normal 6-9lbs) and his previous owner held him a lot leading him to become bow legged. I am wondering if this will ever hurt him as he ages or anything I should be concerned with. Thanks in advance!

Straight legged jeans [ 2 Answers ]

So, I bought a pair thinking that they were just normal jeans and I hate straight legged jeans. And I didn't notice they were until AFTER I threw away the receipt and washed them. Is there anything I can do to make them look like normal jeans? Any way to stretch the bottoms out or would it work if...

10 legged spider with amor [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I came across a black/grey spider with 10 legs while walking in our subdivision. It had thick legs and was walking slowly across the road. It also had a strange armor type shield on its back and pear shaped butt. We went back to take a photo and measure it: 2 inches. I googled and...

3 Legged Chicken :) [ 4 Answers ]

A man was driving along a freeway when he noticed a chicken running alongside his car. He was amazed to see the chicken keeping up with him, as he was doing 50 mph. He accelerated to 60, and the chicken stayed right next to him. He sped up to 75 mph, and the chicken passed him. The man noticed that...

View more questions Search