Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmbgm Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 01:03 PM
    How to move Shower Knob off position
    I have a shower only knob with a cartridge similar to Moen PN#1222. The knob controls volume and temperature. I've gotten the knob off, turned off the supply, but am not quite sure how to get the cartridge out, I assume I would use pliers and pull?

Anyway, If I turn all the way to the left (-90deg), it is hottest. If I go all the way to the right (120deg), it is cold. At about 100deg to the right it goes from hot to cold pretty fast. I'd like it to be more gradual if possible. I'm thinking maybe if I lower the hot limiter, that may help. However I'm not quite sure how to do that.

The other problem is the "off" setting is at (0 deg) and not at (120deg). I'm not sure how I fix this.

I looked at the instructions PDF (assuming it is the same as mine) but I find the pictures confusing. The YES and NO pictures look the same to me.

Does anyone have some advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 02:51 PM

Moen cartridges are held in place by a clip sliding down at the very top of the cartrdige body, pry the clip ip, its right near the two letters H/C Moen cartridge replace tuturoial should help. Installation Help / Animated Tutorials for Moen Faucet
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 04:02 PM

You have to tell us exactly what kind/brand/type of faucet it is. "Similar to Moen" won't cut it. If unsure, post a photo of it. We will ID it ourselves. Thank you. Milo

Dec 19, 2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks for those instructions, much clearer. I guess I'm missing the "white plastic tool". Even if I get it out, the instructions don't say how to change where the off setting is. Just how to reverse hot and cold.

I know it is Moen, one knob to control volume and temperature, but nothing else. It looks like the one in here http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instr...ts/ins746f.pdf I'll work on getting a photo taken, my camera isn't working so well at the moment.

Dec 19, 2009, 08:33 PM

Not sure your valve has any adjustments you can make. Pics 11, 12, 13 show removing the clip I mentioned. A puller may be needed but grabbing with a plyers and pull/twist at the same time would remove the cartrdige. Some models employ what looks like a gray gear that lets you set the high temp control to avoid scalding but I can't give you specifics until we know the actual model. Like Milo says, close doesn't always count unless you are playing dart or hand grenades
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 09:18 PM

Company called Valley Faucets used to make shower valves very similar to Moen, including the handle and the way it operated. The only difference was the cartridge...

Dec 19, 2009, 09:32 PM

Well I'm assuming it is moen because because the knob says moen on it, but the previous owners could have changed it. I'll get a photo up as soon asap. Can you usually tell from just looking at the front view with the knob off? Or do you need to see it with the cartridge pulled out?
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 01:46 AM

We can ID it by looking at the overall trim, including handle. However, if it says Moen than it is most likely Moan...

Dec 20, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Here are photos
    Attached Images

Dec 20, 2009, 10:21 AM

Moen Château, here is your manual http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instr...ts/ins129d.pdf Bottom picture of your 3 pics shows your cartridge face and clip but they are so covered with lime you can't see what it is, spray with CLR and rinse off. Stick a screw driver into that round hole on top and lft, that's your clip

Dec 20, 2009, 10:52 AM

Yeah they hand caulk around the plate, but when I took the plate off a bunch of water came out. I clean it off and take another photo

Dec 20, 2009, 10:57 AM

I never recommend caulking all the way around the escutcheon plate just for that reason. Remove the chrome plate and find out where the water is leaking, you probably should replace the cartrdige or at least the seals, both free from Moen.

Dec 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
    I'd like to see if I can make the adjustment I want first so when/if I do replace it, I'll install it right.

Here's another photo
    Attached Images

Dec 20, 2009, 11:14 AM

Also, looking at the manual, it seems diff than mine. The cartridge looks the same but there seems to be a different front piece.

I'm still not sure how to remove the cartridge after removing the top clip

Dec 20, 2009, 12:50 PM

Some plates are brass and others plastic, look different but function the same. I'd say remove and replace cartridge because you have leakage and mold. That screw in the uper left is an intergal stop to shut off the water supply on that side, dig to the right and you will find the other integral stop. Pull and twist at the same time and the cartridge may come out, or you may need a Moen puller due to corrosion.

Dec 20, 2009, 07:57 PM

You mentioned that a replacement cartridge is free from moen. How do I go about doing that?

Dec 20, 2009, 08:57 PM

Contact customer supprt for free lifetime warranty parts http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

Dec 20, 2009, 09:51 PM

Hmm, since I just purchased this house, I might be outside the warranty period. The warranty says they need proof of purchase and I would not have any documents from when it was installed with the house like 10yrs ago.

Jan 1, 2010, 07:13 PM
    I still don't quite understand. I've only seen two types of moen shower controls.
    1. where you start from off and turn counter clockwise to increase flow and at the same time go from cold to hot.
    2. The other where you pull to start flow, turn left for hot and right for cold.

Mine cannot seem to be pulled in or out. I just turn from the 12 o'clock position. CCW is hot, CW is also hot until I get to around 4 o'clock where it goes cold. But the only way to be off is to go back to 12 o'clock exactly. Does a moen shower control exists that operates this way?

My home inspector told me I can rotate something with the cartridge to make it so it operates like #1 but I don't understand how. Rotating 180 seems like it would just reverse Hot and Cold.
    Maybe it is suppose to be the #2 type but the previous owner just stuck in the wrong type of cartridge.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 08:53 PM

The inspector was correct: Remove handle and spin the stem 180 degrees. It will, indeed, reverse hot and cold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I tried to pull the knob up on our bathtub faucet to take a bath and it wouldn't move [ 4 Answers ]

I tried to pull the knob up on our bathtub faucet to have the water go into the tub and it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions as to what is wrong and how to fix it?

Toggle switch won't move to on position [ 11 Answers ]

If a machine stops working by its self because it is overloaded the toggle switch has moved its self in the mid position I can get it to move to the on position it basically tripped the breaker how to I put it back on the on position

Shower knob [ 1 Answers ]

How do I disassemble a shower knob

Shower Knob Stuck [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My hot water shower knob has been stuck for months and the only way I can turn it is buy using channel locks. Though I don't think this has anything to do with it, the knobs themselves used to fall off all the time, and so during a weak moment I epoxied them into place. I know, not a...

Can't move switch out of Pilot position [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to light the pilot light on the gas furnace. The switch won't move out of the "Pilot" position. If the pilot lights and stays lit - is there a danger in leaving it on "Pilot"?

View more questions Search