Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeroexpert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 01:28 PM
    12 2 Wiring, a Wiring a 3 prong Dryer Receptacle
    This cable has a white,and a black and a uncover coper wire. What order should these three wires be in, in a three prong receptacle?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 01:29 PM
    What kind of receptacle? What rating?

If this is for a typical electric dryer 12/2 CANNOT be used.
    zeroexpert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply stanfortyman. If the cable was 10/2 with a third copper wire would that change things?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 03:10 PM

No. You need 10/3 w/ground cable.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 03:12 PM
    #10 wire is needed for a 30 amp circuit, which is usually the size circuit for the typical residential dryer.

However, Code requires any NEW circuit for a dryer to be 4 wire, consisting of two hots, NEUTRAL, and bare or green equipment ground.

So, what are you trying to do? Use an existing 2 wire cable?

Or will you be installing a new cable?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a 4 prong Leviton dryer plug receptacle from fuse box? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. My old dryer was wired directly. I have a Leviton (Nema 14-30R) "30A - 125/250V GROG" plug receptacle and a junction box and wish to mount it, however, I don't know if there is a specific order for the wires to be hooked up to the actual box. Wires are...

Changing electrical wiring on a dryer to fit a 4 prong socket [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: trying to change the electric dryer cord from a three prong to a 4 prong. When opening the back of the dryer, there is only three wiring spots and the 4 prong.. is there a safe way to rig this? HELP!!

Wiring 3 prong plug on 4 prong dyer [ 2 Answers ]

I have one question about wiring a 3 prong plug on my dryer. Do I attached the middle white wire to the side ground OR do I take the side ground wire and attach that along with the while wire on the middle screw? Arvy

Dryer wiring 3 prong -- neutral wire? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi-- I am trying to wire what seems to be a 3-prong dryer into a 4-prong dryer receptacle. If I understand correctly, I need to disconnect the ground from the neutral on the back of the dryer, and hook them up separately to my 4-wire cord -- the ground wire is the added 4th wire. However,...

View more questions Search