Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    channtas28 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Help, help, pleeeeeeeease help, I have a major leak coming from the bottom of my hot water heater, specifically, from the right side, which is the cold water supply side. I turned off the hot water valve , but the water kept coming out at a rapid pace. I then shut off the cold water supply line coming into the water heater, and after a couple minutes the water stopped running out. I cleaned up the water, making sure that the area around the water heater was completely dry, I then turned on the hot water valve and no water was leaking, however, immediately after turning on the cold water supply line at the top of the water heater, the water started gushing out once more, thus causing me to shut things down. Is this a minor internal problem that can be repaired, or do I just buy a new water heater ? Oh! By the way, thanks for the advice that you gave me with the installation of my basement bathroom, toilet, and sink lines along with venting the bath, every thing worked to perfection. Look forward to haring from you.

Thank for the information Labman, however, in my haste to ask and receive a reply to the question, I neglected to say that the leak was specifically coming the bottom of the hot water heater and not the top, with that said, what do you recommend to sole this problem. I apologize for not being clear the first time. Thanks for the help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 09:49 PM
    Be very careful about shutting off the cold water to a water heater. Water needs to cycle in and out as the temperature cycles up and down. Normally it does through the inlet. Close it, and you must leave the outlet open and a hot water tap open. Also turn it to pilot or shut the electricity off.

Is the water leaking around where the cold water goes in? If so, it may be a simple fix. Remove the water pipe, examine it, clean it up, and wrap a couple of turns of Teflon tape around it. More isn't better. Start at the top and right to left on the side towards you. Then screw the pipe back in. Don't over tighten it. If it leaks again, then you can tighten it up more. If you don't see how to remove the water pipe, post back post back telling us what kind of piping you have, copper, PVC, XEPE, etc. If it is plastic, it should say on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater [ 2 Answers ]

When I switch on the gas water heater the water no longer gets hot but the radiators do, the day before this started the water company switched of the mains supply for a few hours while I was at work, what's going on? Dave

Kenmore Heavy Duty washer water leakage? [ 2 Answers ]

It would be wonderful if anyone can help. I have and old Kenmore heavy duty Washer, Model#c1104430081 canadian model. Problem starts as washer becomes full of water, leakage seems to occur between washer basin(if that's The correct term?) and adjacent metal connector. Leakage increases on...

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search