Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrekih Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Radiant heat in the walls
    I have a low ceiling in the basement.
    I was planing on using hydronic radiant heat panels for the basement.
    The main floor is radiant underfloor heat.
    Instead of using heat panels can I run the pipe up and down the walls and have the whole wall as the heat source?
    CptJaneway Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2009, 10:06 PM

If there is enough water pressure to move the heated water against gravity.. . Would be easier and cheaper to just use the radiant panels on the floor.

Nov 28, 2009, 11:47 PM

Good question about moving the water uphill.
    I don't know about it being cheaper though.
    What do you mean about radiant panels on the floor?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 03:16 AM

Have you ever heard of Baseboard Radiators ? They use hot water to heat room quite efficiently. And they are inexpensive, too... Basically, what they are is a 3/4" copper pipe with thin metal fins attached to it and hooked up to a circulating pump...
    Attached Images

Nov 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

Yes I have heard of baseboard radiators.
    The problem with them typically they need to be put below the windows in the room.
    That won't work in my case.
    A radiant heating panel can go just about anywhere even on the ceiling if needed.
    I am exploring the possibility of making a wall the heating source.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 11:21 AM

In this case, install 1/2" copper grid behind the wall and install good, high head circulation pump. Put it on dedicated loop and perhaps even dedicated heater. I would not worry about too many turns and high head. You will compensate for it with the proper pump. Also, you don't care about volume since this run won't be used for household use. You just want the water to circulate at slow speed...

Btw: like your innovative way of thinking...

Nov 29, 2009, 08:06 PM

From my understanding that the more water pressure that you have the more vertical you can go.
    If this is the case and I don't have a boiler per say.
    Then I can run higher supply PSI to the pump, can't I?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiant heat questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There I plan on installing a boiler etc. to heat the main floor with stapled up underfloor radiant heat and the basement with baseboard type heating. The main floor would have 5 zones. The basement would have 3 baseboard zones. My thoughts for the main floor is to have the kitchen, living...

Radiant Heat addition [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to add radiant floor heat to a old room that had electric baseboard heater. I currently heat the rest of my house with a pump driven boiler with radiant heat. I would like to tap into this existing system. But because of the allowable space in the new room. I am only going to be...

Radiant floor heat [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone have any experience with repairing busted pex tubing under a slab? I have a customer that would like to fix it without busting up the entire back porch,it's brand new,stamped and very expensive. Any help would be great,I just need to locate it to cut out a small square.

Radiant Heat Won't Shut Off [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an older home about 3 years ago with radiant heat in the ceilings. Recently, one of the bedrooms had the temperature spike al the way up to over 90 degrees. I can't seem to get the temperature to come down. The heat is controlled by a Mears single pole thermostat, model M401. The...

View more questions Search