Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jhenninger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Radiant Heat Won't Shut Off
    I purchased an older home about 3 years ago with radiant heat in the ceilings. Recently, one of the bedrooms had the temperature spike al the way up to over 90 degrees. I can't seem to get the temperature to come down. The heat is controlled by a Mears single pole thermostat, model M401. The thermostats are from the late 60's to early 70's, but I have never had any trouble with them before. They do no have an "Off" setting, just a temperature range area and a "Low" setting so I can't just shut that room off.

The only thing out of the ordinary that has happened recently is that I spackled and sanded in that room. Is it possible that the electric sander shook something loose in the wall or on the thermostat itself? I don't really know how this stuff works and am looking for any help I can get. Your help is much appreciated.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 31, 2009, 09:26 AM

Sounds like the thermostat is bad. Just because you haven't had trouble with them doesn't mean that it hasn't failed.

All of your other suggestions must also be considered. This is a job for someone with a volt-ohm meter and some knowledge of electricity.
    Jhenninger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of had the feeling that the thermostat might just have gone bad. It is about 40 years old after all. I went out today and bought a new thermostat to replace it. I found the same kind of thermostat in an updated model that actually has and "off" setting as well. When is pulled the old one out I took the back off it and there was a small area that looked like an electrical burn on the "activator" switch. So it looks like it was just at the end of its life.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydronic/Radiant Heat Problems [ 1 Answers ]

In the townhome I am renting the furnace is hooked up to the water heater & I have been told it is a hydronic or radiant heat system. I don't know anything about this type of system, but once the weather turned cold & I began using the furnace to heat the home, the water in my facets became...

Wiring radiant floor heat [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering putting radiant heat in my bath since I've got it down to the bare bones for a remodel. I've read that each square foot of mat draws .1 amp. I'll be installing approximately 12 square feet of mat, equaling 1.2 amps. Can I tap into an existing circuit for this little of a draw?

Very old crane radiant heat system [ 1 Answers ]

We just recently bought an older home that has a crane radiant baseboard heat system in it. It works great in all the rooms but 1. We traced the lines and it is the last room on the line for the hot water. Is there some way to adjust the heaters so that the last room stays warm too??

View more questions Search