Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stressedout Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Need some encouragement
    I have been through bouts of depression and unfortunately I am going through one now. I generally deal with stress with a level head, but things have become over whelming over the past few months. I took on new responsibilities at work and the deadlines are killing me. My 13 y/o son broke his collar bone and is out of sports and activities for 6-8 weeks. I feel helpless when I look at him because I can't fix it! His grades have dropped since he missed school with the break, so I am trying to help him with his school work. His Dad (my ex) has become more of a pain than normal. We usually have a good relationship, but since the break, the grades dipping and our son's choice of high school next year, I feel like he's working against me instead of with me on anything relating to our son. I keep thinking he's going to try to take our shared custody away among other things.

My current husband is a saint because living with me and my mood swings must be horrendous. I am trying positive thinking, that seems to work sometimes, I'm trying to exercise a little more, but honestly I can't stop thinking about things. It is hindering my work because all I can think of is how pitiful my son looks and what could I have done to prevent the injury and how can I make it heal faster so he can go back to being active. I keep thinking that my ex is going to try to take full custody of him because I'm depressed and my current husband will leave because I can't think of anything else.

I don't want to go on anti-depressents, the last time I did I became a stepford wife and hated it. I just want the constant worry to go away!

Anybody know of a way to shut out thoughts and concentrate on living?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Let me ask, what kind of sleep are you getting each night? Sleep is very important when it comes to mental health.

Nov 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Between 6-8 hours every night. I do get interupted most nights with my husband coming to bed later, bathroom use or a dog jumping on the bed. Even with that sleep I am tired during the day.
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
    That is a good average number of hours, however the sleep is interrupted. This means that you are not going through the proper levels of sleep in the proper order, making you tired during the day as well as increasing stress levels.

Now for your son... He broke his collar bone... Most likely there was nothing you could do to prevent it. And there is nothing you can do to make it heal any faster. His grades are probably slipping since he is not as involved in his sports and he may be going through a "down time" right now due to that. There is little you can do but support him.

You can worry about your ex all you want, but if you do not know for a fact that he is going to take custody, then you are wasting your energy. You can use that energy to focus on your son and his homework instead.

Maybe taking a deep breath and looking at all that you DO have and were blessed with (your current husband) will help. Focus on all the good that you have, remain positive. Negativity and worry only multiplies. But so does a positive attitude.

Go out, get some multivitamins, keep exercising, and try to get some uninterrupted sleep. Maybe try getting a couple more hours of sleep through the week right now.

Hopefully everything will return to normal when the doc gives the go-ahead for your son to get back into his sports.

Nov 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Thank you, your words are much appreciated! :)
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
    You can do this.

As a full time nusring student, wife, and mother of a 20, 18, 13, and 4 year old, I know full well what stress is all about.

You will get through this!!
    MicaM Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
    If you had diabetes, would you take the prescribed insulin or pills the doctor ordered~?
    You've just said you are experiencing mood swings, depression and inability to handle stress.
    I strongly urge you to seek help at your local mental health agency.
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
    MicaM,

This is not really necessary at this time. Believe me, as Health Expert, if I thought it was I would have mentioned it.

Right now it seems just situational and will resolve in its own time.

Her main concern is her son and his health. His health will be resolved way before the therapeutic effects of meds are achieved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search