Sulphuric acid

Hydrochloric acid

KOH

Thanks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 11:56 AM

Hard anodize aluminium?

You mean aluminium that has been anodized with a thick layer of oxide?

If so, I would have replied yes. Aluminium oxide is an amphoteric oxide, and will hence react with both acid and base.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Hard anodize aluminium?

You mean aluminum that has been anodized with a thick layer of oxide?

If so, I would have replied yes. Aluminum oxide is an amphoteric oxide, and will hence react with both acid and base.
    Correct... but it reacts fastest with strong bases (KOH in your question). It will take a while for the acids to break through the hard oxide layer.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Nov 25, 2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks.

The answer is not what I hoped for. I am looking for a material to build a reaction tank, and don't want to use stainless steel because of the expense.

Maybe there is some product that will produce a glass lining.
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 07:34 AM

That's not really my field of knowledge about the practicability (sp?) and cost. Maybe you can try some alloys that are corrosion resistant.

We use brass for taps and some pipe joints.
    You can try PVC.

I don't the price at all, OK.

I would like to know however what type of reactions you'll be performing in there? Neutralisation?
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 08:53 AM

Glass linings are usually "porcelain".

Porcelain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never made porcelain, so I can't tell how hard it is to use.

There are a lot of other materials of construction that are corrosion resistant. These include various versions of Hastelloy (Hastelloy B, C, etc), titanium, and many types of stainless steel. Of course, they're all expensive.

Nov 26, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    That's not really my field of knowledge about the practicability (sp?) and cost. Maybe you can try some alloys that are corrosion resistant.

We use brass for taps and some pipe joints.
    You can try PVC.

I don't the the price at all, ok.

I would like to know however what type of reactions you'll be performing in there? Neutralisation?
    At home, do it yourself, hydrogen production.

I can get plenty of scrap aluminum free and lye shouldn't be very expensive. I have read that this kind of reaction can produce pressures nearing 1,000 psi. Use the pressure to fill tanks with hydrogen and then run a genset.

Not sure about hydrogen pressure required, but an ice engine will run on natural gas at a pressure of 4 ounces psi, so if you had a container containing 800 psi of hydrogen, you could run a 20 hp engine for nearly 24 hours.

If I don't do something, I may be looking at utility bills that I can not pay in the not too distant future.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:13 AM

Sounds too dangerous. I suggest you rethink that idea.

Nov 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Sounds too dangerous. I suggest you rethink that idea.
    I can't see why hydrogen gas would be any more dangerous than propane or gasoline vapor, and we use those extensively.

Another question:

What gas is produced by mixing a base and an acid? Say, KOH and H2SO4?
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2009, 09:12 PM

Actually, you don't produce a gas at all

You get a lot of heat and a lot of steam. You form a potassium sulfate salt. You also form water (H+ + OH- = H2O).

Hydrogen gas is more dangerous than propane or gasoline. It's much more explosive.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...le-danger1.htm

Nov 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post

Hydrogen gas is more dangerous than propane or gasoline. It's much more explosive.

HowStuffWorks "Dangers of Hydrogen"
    Thanks for the info.

You need to explain your above comment, though. I realize that hydrogen + oygen is highly explosive, but then so is every other fuel.

When the Hindenburg was destroyed, it didn't explode, it took a fair amount of time to burn.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 04:16 AM

Ok galveston, I have a table here:

Heat of combustion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll see that hydrogen, though giving off less heat than other fuels per mole of reactant (kJ/mol column), if produces much more heat than the others concerning it's weight (MJ/kg column). So, if you have the same mass of fuel, hydrogen would release more heat, hence more dangerous than any other fuel, excluding the other risks that were included in Perito's link.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Iron corrosion [ 0 Answers ]

What does iron do to boiler and or air conditioning systems. The pipes used for the given systems is steel. For example I think iron creates scale, but if it does do that what acually happens that causes that.

Radiator corrosion [ 1 Answers ]

We are finding car radiators with corrosion pin holes in the cores. In some cases we find stray currents in the cooling system and can attribute the problem to electrolysis. In other cases we get an absolute zero reading, yet when we cut the tubes open we can see clear signs of corrosion pitting....

What is Corrosion? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello people Can any one tell me something about Corrosion and its Main types? How we can prevent it? Thanks Your's Shanas

Cast ironpipe corrosion [ 7 Answers ]

I have cast iron pipes in the basement that are oozing some sort of foamy substance on the top that gets hard after awhile. I am also noticing water dripping from the spots which are located on top of the pipe. Can you help? Tom

View more questions Search