Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdell Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Cast ironpipe corrosion
    I have cast iron pipes in the basement that are oozing some sort of foamy substance on the top that gets hard after awhile. I am also noticing water dripping from the spots which are located on top of the pipe. Can you help?

Tom
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 20, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Is this at a joint? Can you take a picture and post it here?

There are a lot of very helpful folks around here, but a picture helps them to be even more helpful!

Jul 20, 2007, 02:49 PM
    No it is on a straight piece of pipe

Jul 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
    It seems like it would be pretty strange for a horizontal drain pipe to leak from the TOP of the pipe, and if it were corroded, that seems a less-likely spot to wear through first.

Are you sure it's cast iron? There are a couple of other kinds of metal pipes, notably galvanized steel, which it may be. What color is it? Diameter? Are the joints threaded (screwed) or do they look like one pipe fitting into a socket on the end of the other pipe?

Again, a picture would help a lot, if you have access to a camera.

I'm guessing that you're sure this isn't something dripping ONTO the pipe from above...

~aaron

Jul 20, 2007, 03:02 PM
    I just took some pictures and will send them to you. As far as the pipe I do believe it is cast,it is black and it looks like lead in the joints.

Jul 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
    How do I send the pictures? Tried attaching them but it did not work.

Jul 20, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Save them as Jpegs, and make sure that you resize them to 750 pixels... don't make it 750 by 750, that will stretch the pic..

Just use your image program or whatever, and get the largest dimension down to 750, and you can post them as attachments. Click the buttonedown below under "additional options" that's labeled "manage attachments"

Jul 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Hope it worked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical contact corrosion removal [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove corrosion and oxidation from electrical connections inside of the furnace located outside of the house?

Corrosion on a ceiling fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

My fan powers up but does not spin. After taking the fan apart I saw that there was corrosion on a couple of coils and 2 wires are split. It looks as if the wires shorted out and flash burned a small part of the motor coils, along with the wires. Can this motor be fixed and/or made to work...

Bathtub drain leak due to tub corrosion [ 1 Answers ]

We have a porcelain over steel tub that has started to leak to our downstairs. We pulled away the ceiling and saw that the tub looks like it is corroding around the drain. Is this something we can repair ourselves? Would installing a new drain fix the problem? How would that work? Of course,...

View more questions Search