Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NessT Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Multiple Cracks In Concrete
    Hello.
    I appreciate the opportunity to be able to ask my question and thank you in advance for your reply. I have read your previous questions and answers in this area and wish to ask for some additional information. I have been in my home for one year and my driveway and surrounding porch of my house have multiple cracks in them. My driveway has expansion joints but there are 5 cracks, some that wind all over. Also there are chips or small pockets where an arm of the crack branched off and came back and created an oval that has since chipped out. We also poured a parking area that extends beyond the driveway, all in the same pour and two cracks run across this section and down the sides that is above ground. As for the porch, I have counted 14 cracks in a 60 foot combined linear area which few can wind around as much as 4-6 feet. Most are straight across. They are spaced about every 3-4 feet. Some as wide as the picture your other member sent in her question about her driveway to a very small hairline. They seem to originate in the middle of the porch section and spread right and left as well as zigzag all over. My builder told me that cracks are inevitable and they are just what happens. I understand and know this can be the case and so I have not pushed this issue. We poured in a cool climate and since then have had a drought all last summer with temps above 100 degrees and now we have a wet winter with downpours 3-10 inches. (Texas) Would this contribute to the numerous amount of cracks or is it a bad mix? I don't know whether this is normal. The foundation of the house at this time seems intact. Interestingly though, our large patio has no cracks at all. I would appreciate your input as to know whether this is normal and if not, how to approach my builder about the issue. Thank you very much.

Nov 18, 2009, 01:39 PM

I forgot to mention that our driveway and foundation is built on sandy loam soil. Clay is about 3-4 feet deep below that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:15 PM

I would say from your description the gravel bed under the concrete was not sufficient in thickness or compaction. It is now shifting and there really isn't much that can be done to fix it. The builder who told you this is inevitable, did he do the installation?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 05:01 AM

Suggest you find a reputable concrete contractor and ask for an objective assessment of your situation. An assessment that you pay for. Sounds like you may be headed toward litigation with the builder.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 06:25 AM

One of the biggest issues with concrete is the need for proper curing. If it was placed during very hot weather especially, it needs to be kept damp continuously for seven days and more will help. If the concrete is not kept damp, it dries out too fast, can develop cracks and the ultimate strength will be affected negatively. It also sounds like some dummy joints (to control location and shape of cracks), possibly some wire mesh, and thickness and foundations are critical.

Nov 19, 2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all your replies:

Ballingerb1: To answer your question, we used a local concrete company, reputable. The builder had his sub prepare the bed and the forms and finally finish the concrete. He said he uses him on all his jobs. There was no gravel bed placed below the concrete, they just excavated out the sand and placed rebar and forms. I think that is common here in South Texas. Thanks. Any more questions are welcome.

hkstroud: Good idea about concrete contractor. I will have to locate one through the yellow pages. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 06:56 PM

Unless construction techniques are way different in Texas the lack of gravel and loam will cause the concrete to settle. I have never built in your area so no expert here but even the Bible talks about what you get if you build on a bed of sand.
    Steve Pomery Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 01:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Unless construction techniques are way different in Texas the lack of gravel and loam will cause the concrete to settle. I have never built in your area so no expert here but even the Bible talks about what you get if you build on a bed of sand.
    I have never built in your area either, but I do build in Ontario, Canada. The most important consideration when doing concrete , especially flatwork, is the base. If the base is not sufficient it doesn't matter how well you do the pour.
    Also, you mentioned thawt they put steel in the concrete. Did you see them put it in because the amount of cracking you describe suggests lack of steel or improper placement. There is a device that can scan the concrete and tell you how much steel is there.
    While it is true that pouring in hot weather without proper curing can cause cracking, these would be hairline cracks from shrinkage.

I agree with getting a concrete contractor to give an opinion. |They normally give free estimates in hopes of getting the work. With the amount of damage you describe it sounds like it will have to be replaced. |Too bad because it is a hazardous waste material.

BTW, I have been a concrete contractor in Ontario since 1976.
    Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple cracks in sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

Our house is a combination of old (>100 yrs) and new (~6 yrs) construction with 3 different foundations. There are now many long horizontal cracks, as well as vertical cracks near windows and doors. Should these cracks (thin) be fixed with drywall tape, or is the use of joint compound enough?...

Fixing small cracks in concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to epoxy a concrete porch floor and the concrete has 4 cracks none more than 1/16" wide and the longest is approximately 10' slab is 4" + thick can I epoxy over these or do I need a filler and if so what do you recommend, I want to use a floor leveler as there are 3 bird baths ...

Concrete floor base cracks [ 12 Answers ]

I am considering purchasing a house and in one room there is a cement crack about 3 feet long. The house is 4 years old and has a cement base under the carpeting and tile. I contacted a cement pourer who said this was a fairly ordinary occurrence and should not pose a problem. Is this a...

Cracks in concrete foundation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently inherited my grandparents home. It is probably 65 years old with a concrete foundation and crawl space underneath. It was built on to about 45 years ago. The older part of the house has several cracks in the outside concrete foundation. I don't know if they are recent or have been...

Concrete cracks [ 1 Answers ]

I have cracks in a side path I poured at my home. Is it possible for shrinkage cracks to look like settlement cracks? I compacted all the subgrade first, and took every precaution to ensure I did not get settlement cracks, i.e.. Adequate depth to reinforcing and not a slumpy concrete, but I still...

View more questions Search