Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJAMAZIN1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Child Custody Transfer
    Hi, I Am A 32 Year Old Father Of Three And I Live In California. I Am Divorced But A Dedicated Father Of All Three. I Have Fathered And Supported My Identical 15 Year Old Twin Sons All Of Their Lives Who Live In Georgia. Here Is Where The Story Gets Tricky. My Sons Call Me On A Regular Basis Asking Me No, Begging Me To Come And Take Them Away From There. I Tell Them That I Am Doing All That I Can To Get Them Away, But I Want To Do It According To The Law. The Only Reason Their Mother Won't Let Them Go Is Because She Depends On The Child Support Money That I Have Always Given Her To, Support Her Other Kids (by The Way Who Are Not Mine) And Other Habits. My Question Is, What Do I Have To Do To Legally To Get Custody Of My Sons Without It Being A Mess, But More Importantly, Not Let My Sons Down Again.
    The Laws In California And Georgia Differ Greatly And I Have No Clue Where To Begin.

Someone Please Help Me. My Sons' Pain Is Becoming My Death, And I Desperately Need Them As Much As They Need Me.

BY THE WAY THE KIDS IN QUESTION, ARE NOT FROM THE DIVORCE.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Nov 8, 2006, 11:31 AM
    I feel for you!

The first thing you need to do is go to the District Court in the county and state of your divorce. You will need to file a request to transfer proceedings to which ever state you want the custody proceedings to take place. The court likes to have the proceedings in the jurisdiction of where the children are currently living. You will need an attorney to start this process. Once the legal documents are completed you can start the custody battle.

Good Luck!
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
    The above is very good advice. The only way to do this is with a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2006, 09:56 AM
    If the kids are not from the divorce are you listed on their birth certificate as the father? The next question was there ever a formal custody and support agreement drawn up? The final question is under what jurisidiction was the agreement drawn up?

You will need to obtain the services and a family lawyer where the agreement was drawn. That lawyer will then file for a change in the custody arrangement in that jurisdiction. Since courts tend to give custody to the mother, you will need to present evidence of her unfitness as a mother. If you can, you may be able to get custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody transfer [ 3 Answers ]

I've got custody in Georgia of my nefew. He went to visit his parents on spring break and does not want to come back. What is the most quick way to transfer custody back? He is 15 turning 16.

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

How do I transfer custody to my state? [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in Ohio Yrs ago and I live in California. I now have both my children as of October. My daughter already lived with me for 3 yrs, but my son just moved with me in October. Can I file for a change in custody in California or do I need to file in Ohio. My current cusody agreement is...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My step daughters mother is tell her daughter that when she turns 16 (shes 5 now) that she can move in with her ( we have full cousty)... I thought this was up to a judge and not the child... can some one tell me if this is true?. Katrina

View more questions Search