Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Nov 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
    I forgot a dose of Metformin that I take 2x/day.
    I take 500mg 2x daily of metformin to treat pcos (hopefully to start me ovulating because we're TTC) and pre-diabetes.

If I forgot to take the lunchtime dose, would it be dangerous to take the full 1000mg all at once at dinnertime? Or should I just skip the missed dose altogether?

I appreciate your time!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 06:43 PM

You didn't say when your normally take it. Skipping is the safest.
    The drug increases the ability for the cells to use insulin, so doubling it at a large meal is probably OK. What I might do, is to break a dose in half and take 750 instead of 500 at dinner.

I don't know if you have a blood glucose meter, for that can also help.

You should, at least for a full day do the following:

1. No eating past 8 or 9:00 PM

Measure Blood Glucose (BG) before breakfast
    1 and 2 hours after

Before Lunch and 1 and 2 hours after

Before dinner and 1 and 2 hours after

Bedtime

AND, this is the harder one. Set an alarm for about 4 in the morning and take it then.

If you can report this and when you take your meds, I can offer an Opinion. Just that, opinion.

You MAY benefit better taking the meds at lunch and bedtime. Or even stagger a little differently since the pills can be cut.

Although there is good reason to take with food, it's not always the best choice. The liver dumps in early morning and that's why it may makes sense to sometimes take it at bedtime.
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Nov 10, 2009, 06:57 PM

Um, I don't know how to measure my glucose--i don't use a meter, I don't need one yet.

They are using metformin and proper diet/exercise to prevent me from getting diabetes. (Everyone in my family seems to have it, so when my routine bloodwork at the gyno came back with elevated glucose levels, my gyno said the metformin in a higher dose would continue to help pcos and regulate my glucose.)

I missed my lunchtime dose. I normally take one pill with lunch. And I take my 2nd one with dinner, or between dinner and bedtime.

You're right, I should probably play it safe and skip it and try to do better tomorrow! =)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:07 PM

Get a meter. They are non-prescription. Everyone being treated for diabetes should have one. Strips are non-prescription, but better if covered by insurance.

My opinions: Accucheck multi-clix lancet device, One touch mini or One Touch Ultra. Probably One touch mini for you.

Taking medication without being able to monitor makes no sense.

At least do the following dietary change: Find a glycemic index of foods on the web and limit foods with a high index. They will include white bread, pizza and ice cream and almost anything with refined sugar.

Come back soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I still submit a 30-day notice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm getting ready to downsize due to a loss of income. Our lease terminates on November 30, 2009 as stated on the lease agreement, which also states that the "tenant shall vacate the Premises upon termination of the agreement, unless: I) Landlord and tenant have extended this agreement in...

Continuance on first day of trial [ 2 Answers ]

Tomorrow I start a criminal trial. I feel as though my public defender has giving me false hope with regards to my case,and she has not considered my defense competently. Can I ask for a continuance?

PCOS, Metformin & Trying to conceive. [ 1 Answers ]

Soo... I found a new doctor set up an appointment and asked him about PCOS... I told him that I was Trying to conceive and what all was going on... I asked to have my hormone levels checked, he told me that based on my history there was no need in running any test he knew that I had PCOS. He...

Vitex and Metformin [ 1 Answers ]

I was just rx'd Metformin... I haven't filled it yet but will soon... I have been taking Vitex for only about a week.. Can I take them both.. Will they help each other?

Metformin and pcos [ 4 Answers ]

Its been awhile since I've been on, Never the less I have more questions, I have read up on women taking metformin for pcos, but now its my turn, and I don't really know what to expect... I had a large ovarian cyst rupture and got to spend the day in the hospital. Now my doctors have decided to...

View more questions Search