Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 08:44 PM
    Spooky .very spooky !
    Each year about this time someone starts a thread about strange, unusual and weird occurrences that have happened to them.

Well, now it is my turn, please let us know about anything that may have happened to you or someone close to you over the years that will make us wonder and ponder. Please make your posts stay within the realm of personal or family situations.

I have had some, that made the hair on my neck rise up, I'll go into those later, let's hear some of yours.

I would love to hear them... have a go at it ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stringer
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 09:01 PM

Hubby's mom had a bungalow. The basement is where we hung out when we were dating.

His mom was older, couldn't navigate the stairs very well, so hubby bought her an intercom system. It wasn't one you installed, it was just two pieces, both plugged in.

We had one upstairs and one downstairs. That way, if his mom needed something, she could just use the intercom.

Weird things always happened in the basement. For instance, there was a light in the corner by the TV. For some reason, every time hubby and I argued it would either flicker or go out completely. Hubby thought it was an electrical problem, but he took it apart and it was fine. So he checked the wiring in the basement, also fine. The lamp used to be in his parents bedroom. His dad died when hubby was 16.

There's a reason I'm telling you all this. One night I was over, we were watching a movie. We had a little spat over something in the movie, we didn't agree. It wasn't a bad argument, but that didn't matter, the light flickered, then it went out. We stopped arguing and it turned back on.

I left after the movie. I had to work the next day. The next morning, before I left for work, hubby called me. He never got up early unless he had to work and he didn't have to that day.

I could hear the panic in his voice. Apparently, after I left, hubby was looking through old photo albums. All of a sudden the entire corner where the lamp is completely shut down. The lamp, the TV and the intercom. The basement is all wired on the same grid (or whatever you call it) so if one corner suffers a power outage, the whole basement does, but this time it was only the corner.

All of a sudden, before the power turned back on, the intercom beeped. It sounded like the song "shave and a hair cut". It did that part twice.

Hubby walked up to it, pushed the button hoping that it was his mom. It wasn't.

All of a sudden the power came back on and the intercom beeped the last part of the song "two bits".

Hubby was freaked out. He ran upstairs to tell his mom, she was already in bed. So he went to check the intercom upstairs only to find that it was unplugged.

We got a new lamp in the corner after that and hubby threw away the intercom system.
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Another story about hubby's house.

R (hubby) and I met when we were 19. I never met his dad, obviously. I had actually never even seen a picture of him.

The house he lived in was old. The basement was set up to be rented out. It had a kitchen and everything. There was a long hallway, to the left was the bathroom and right beside that was the laundry room and then a bedroom. You could stand in the hall and see all three rooms.

One day I came down the hallway, R was just coming out of the bathroom. We started to talk. I was facing the three rooms.

I looked up and saw a man walk across the laundry room and through the wall.

The thing that amazed me the most was the calm I felt. I wasn't scared, I wasn't even shocked. I was completely calm. In fact, I told R right away, described the man I had seen right down to his socks. R just grabbed my arm and said "you have to tell my mom".

I thought "great, she's going to think I'm nuts", but I went upstairs to tell her anyway.

The man I saw was around 5'8" tall, I only know that because he was shorter then me but not by a lot. He was balding and wearing brown dress pants and a white undershirt with gray socks.

R's mom left the room, returned with an album, flipped to a page and showed me a picture. She asked "is this the man you saw?" it was the exact man, same clothes, everything.

I said "yes". "Oh, she said, that's my husband. He had around 20 pairs of those pants and always wore only an undershirt when he was home". She told me that he came around once in a while just to make sure everything was going well. If she left on a trip he would always make an appearance on her return.

So I got to meet my father-in-law after all. :)
    Business Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Hubby's mom had a bungalow. The basement is where we hung out when we were dating.

His mom was older, couldn't navigate the stairs very well, so hubby bought her an intercom system. It wasn't one you installed, it was just two pieces, both plugged in.

We had one upstairs and one downstairs. That way, if his mom needed something, she could just use the intercom.

Weird things always happened in the basement. For instance, there was a light in the corner by the TV. For some reason, every time hubby and I argued it would either flicker or go out completely. Hubby thought it was an electrical problem, but he took it apart and it was fine. So he checked the wiring in the basement, also fine. The lamp used to be in his parents bedroom. His dad died when hubby was 16.

There's a reason I'm telling you all this. One night I was over, we were watching a movie. We had a little spat over something in the movie, we didn't agree. It wasn't a bad argument, but that didn't matter, the light flickered, then it went out. We stopped arguing and it turned back on.

I left after the movie. I had to work the next day. The next morning, before I left for work, hubby called me. He never got up early unless he had to work and he didn't have to that day.

I could hear the panic in his voice. Apparently, after I left, hubby was looking through old photo albums. All of a sudden the entire corner where the lamp is completely shut down. The lamp, the TV and the intercom. The basement is all wired on the same grid (or whatever you call it) so if one corner suffers a power outage, the whole basement does, but this time it was only the corner.

All of a sudden, before the power turned back on, the intercom beeped. It sounded like the song "shave and a hair cut". it did that part twice.

Hubby walked up to it, pushed the button hoping that it was his mom. It wasn't.

All of a sudden the power came back on and the intercom beeped the last part of the song "two bits".

Hubby was freaked out. He ran upstairs to tell his mom, she was already in bed. So he went to check the intercom upstairs only to find that it was unplugged.

We got a new lamp in the corner after that and hubby threw away the intercom system.
    Tell me Alty, did anyone have an opinion as to what was happening? And why that particular song? Odd, to say the least.
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Tell me Alty, did anyone have an opinion as to what was happening? And why that particular song? Odd, to say the least.
    R said that his dad always used to whistle that song, to the point were people would beg him to stop. ;)

The funny thing, once we moved the lamp out of the room and put another in, we never had any problems. The lamp went upstairs and it lasted until R's mom died.

R was looking at the photo album when it happened. The page he was on was pictures of him with his dad, when he was a little kid. That's when the whole thing happened.

He thinks that's what triggered it.

Throughout the years we dated there were other events, but none like the two I posted. Small things would always happen. Something would get moved, kitchen cabinets would be left open. One time the bathroom door slammed shut while we were watching a movie. A lot of weird things but the thing that was consistent was that there was never anything malicious. I never felt anything but calm in that house.
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 09:42 PM

I'm going to fill up your entire thread.

As you know, both my parents died in 2001. They got to meet Jared, but never met Sydney. In fact, Sydney was born 13 months after my mom passed away.

We had my parents over often. We spent every holiday together and we ate dinner with them every Sunday, at their house, but Saturday's was our turn.

We have a bi-level house. When we first bought it the basement wasn't finished. In fact, we didn't finish until I was already 8 months pregnant with Sydney.

Jared's room was upstairs, right beside ours. Only a bathroom separates it.

After my parents died Jared would tell me things like "Oma and Opa tucked me in last night, or, Oma and Opa read me a story so I could sleep". He was just a little guy, not quite 2 1/2 when my dad died and not quite 3 when my mom died.

We though he just missed them. We did start to notice cold spots in his room though. So much so that R bought a room temperature monitor. Jared's room would go through odd cold periods. The monitor we bought records temperatures for whatever times you want. R set it to record at night, right as Jared was going to bed and in the morning, as Jared was waking up. There was always a big dip in temperature, around 5 degrees!

Anyway, Sydney came along. We only had the two bedrooms upstairs. The basement was finished, with an extra room built for Jared, but at 4 years of age we didn't think he was ready to move downstairs. Sydney's crib was in our room until she turned 2.

At the age of 2 Sydney needed her own room, a bed, so we decided to test out Jared, see if our little 6 year old was okay with sleeping downstairs. After one month with no problems Jared permanently moved into his new room and Sydney moved into Jared's old room. The only thing Jared was upset about was the fact that Oma and Opa didn't come to his room downstairs. He actually said that to us!

The stories started the first night Sydney slept in her new room. She woke up, told me that two old people had been in her room. She wasn't scared she said, she just wanted to hug and kiss them. Remember that Sydney had an amazing vocabulary by the time she was 1. Heck, that kid has the gift for gab. :)

We shrugged off her stories because she wasn't upset. We got used to her telling us about the "old" people that tucked her in and read her stories. There was that nagging little voice in the back of my head but Sydney hadn't met my parents so I just brushed it aside.

Then one night I had one of many dreams of my mom and dad. In the dream I was at work, my old job. For some reason I was concerned about things at home and I called to check up on things. My mom answered the phone. I asked where the babysitter was. My mom said she left. I asked who was watching the kids, my mom told me she and my dad were watching them. In my dream I said "but mom, you and dad are dead", and she told me "it doesn't matter, we'll always watch over all of you. You know they're safe with us". That's when I woke up.

The next morning Sydney recounted my dream word for word.

I decided it was time to see if my suspicions were right. I brought out the photo album. Before that Sydney was too young, so this was the first time she'd seen the pictures. I said nothing as I flipped pages. We got to a page with my parents and Sydney said "Mommy, those are the old people that come into my room!"

She hasn't seen them in years, but I really believe that they're still watching.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Hey, Stringer!

You're looking for real-life situations, correct?

Thanks!
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Oct 21, 2009, 11:12 PM

Lol your stories are like reading a book alty! I was really into it!
    One weird thing that happened to my sister yesterday was that she had just sent a card to our cousin and then got the same card from our cousin the next day! It's not as creppy as a ghost story but it's pretty weird...
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 12:00 AM

wow. That's pretty incredible. I've had to do double takes before, thinking I see my grandparents that have already passed. But 9 times out of 10 it turns out to just be a random old person.

I had a friend who always used to tell us her house was haunted. She told us so many things that, even though nothing ever seemed to happen when I was around, I started to believe her. One day, we got in a fight and out of no where she said that she'd just made all of the stories up. Since then I've never really known what to believe.
    Business Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hey, Stringer!

You're looking for real-life situations, correct?

Thanks!
    Yes Clough, some 'things' that have happened to you or a menber of your family. But, if you have a good one that you know, go for it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 06:47 AM
    My father's favorite song was A Theme From A Summer Place. On my birthday I was sitting at my computer... next to my computer is a picture of my father. I was looking at the picture and all of the sudden I heard the song. I searched high and low for the source of the song... I asked my children... they didn't hear anything. There was no radio on in the house... no TV's. It was homework time.

This seems to happen every so often when I am stressed or just thinking about Dad. Good thing I love the song as well. I feel at peace when I hear it.
    Business Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    My father's favorite song was A Theme From A Summer Place. On my birthday I was sitting at my computer...next to my computer is a picture of my father. I was looking at the picture and all of the sudden I heard the song. I searched high and low for the source of the song...I asked my children...they didn't hear anything. There was no radio on in the house...no TV's. It was homework time.

This seems to happen every so often when I am stressed or just thinking about Dad. Good thing I love the song as well. I feel at peace when I hear it.
    J, I don't pretend to know much about 'channeling' but I feel that when you have a strong connection with someone that has passed strange things happen.

With me, it is my mother. Nothing such as hearing a song or a presumed 'touch', I have an older picture of myself and my mother as my computer screen background. It seems that when I have a decision to make or even when trying to properly write a business email she helps focus me. Kind of like her saying: "look, you know that you can do this" sort of thing.

Your experience is more along the lines of what I was looking for though J.

Thanks,

Stringer
    Pets Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    wow. that's pretty incredible. i've had to do double takes before, thinking i see my grandparents that have already passed. but 9 times out of 10 it turns out to just be a random old person.

i had a friend who always used to tell us her house was haunted. she told us so many things that, even though nothing ever seemed to happen when i was around, i started to believe her. one day, we got in a fight and out of no where she said that she'd just made all of the stories up. since then i've never really known what to believe.
    JC, I haven't had an incident in a long time. When my dad died I would often see him in my dreams. My mom always saw him, even when she was awake. The day the doctors told her she was terminal she swears that she saw my dad standing beside her, he was touching her shoulder. I didn't see him that day.

The hardest part was after my mom died. I kept having dreams that my dad was wandering the house they lived in, looking for my mom. He'd talk to me, ask me where she was. I kept telling him she was dead and he would cry, saying he couldn't find her. It really upset me. I would wake up crying.

The dreams stopped around 6 months after my mom died.

Jared and Sydney don't see my parents anymore. I guess when you get a bit older you stop believing and then you can't see what you think you're not supposed to believe in.

I've had too many things happen not to believe. I promise you, these things did happen. I don't talk about them often because I never know when I'm going to get the "Oh ya, she's nuts" look.

Another thing, which to me is a curse. I have predicted the deaths of every single person in my family. For some reason I always know the day they will die. First my grandpa, he died when I was 13. He had been sick all my life, on oxygen, on his death bed, the entire 13 years we were told he didn't have much longer to live. After a while you just say "Ya, whatever". We even had a going away party for him 3 years before he actually died because his doctor said he only had a short time left. I remember the party well. My mom made me play a song on my accordion. Don't laugh, I know people. ;)

Anyway, Opa was in the hospital again. Nothing new. This time the doctors actually thought he'd be okay so we visited but we really weren't concerned.

We were having Sunday breakfast, eggs, bacon, toast and jam. The phone rang. It wasn't unusual for our phone to ring on Sunday. We often got together with family on that day. For some reason, when the phone rang, I just knew that it was the hospital calling to tell us Opa was gone. I even said to my mom "Don't let dad answer the phone, Opa is dead". She didn't pay much attention.

Sure enough, I was right. That was one of two times I saw my father cry.

Two years later I predicted my great grandmas death. She wasn't well, in the hospital, in a coma. The hospital had told us she wouldn't survive the night over a week before. I remember being in the hospital when they told us that. I whispered into my great grandma's ear "You'll hang on until next Sunday".

As it happens we went to an air show that Sunday. My cousin from Germany was with us, so he, his girlfriend, my mom and dad and my grandma all went to the air show. I remember the day well. The funniest part was my grandma sitting on one of those little fold out stools, just a piece of cloth to sit on. My grandma was a large woman, we should have seen it coming, she sad down and the cloth ripped. She ended up falling to the floor. We couldn't help but laugh.

Around half way through the show I got a feeling. I told my parents that we had to go home, the hospital was calling us, Great grandma was dead. Of course we ended up staying until the end. Four hours later we were home. We walked through the door and the phone was ringing. My mom ran to the phone. It was the hospital, great grandma had passed 4 hours earlier and they'd been trying to contact us since then.

My dad died on Friday. We knew he was terminal but he was stable. The doctors had told us he's probably live through the weekend. On the way to the hospital that day I looked at my husband and said "My dad is going to die today". He asked me why I thought that. My response "it's a good day to die".

I got to the hospital and sat by my dad. I looked up and there was a sign. It said "checkout at 11am" I really thought that my dad was going to die at 11am. I was off by one hour, he passed at noon.

My mom died in Germany. The morning of the day she passed I walked into her room, sat with her, held her hand and said "today's the day, isn't it?" She said "Yes, but you already knew that".

She died later that afternoon.

Believe, don't believe, it's up to you. I know what I know, and what I've seen.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 26, 2009, 12:57 PM

This isn't really that spooky, but pretty funny non the less.
    When I was about 10 I used to play with this boy across the street, we used to play Army, hide and seek, he would even skip with me when he was sure no one was looking. He used to have this tire swing in his front yard, we would swing on it for hours. One day we were swinging away, and I pushed him off to get on myself. Out of nowhere a box of condoms fell out of the tree and hit me on the head... Now he had been swinging on the tire for a good 1/2 before I even got on, and still to this day he swears on his life that he didn't put them there. Strange but true.
    Miss-T Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 01:41 PM

Woo creepy
    This is weird (happened to me but I still refuse to believe in it)
    This happened few years ago,in village where we lived,few days before new year. Weather was beautiful,sunny,but there was snow around.Me and my friend decided to go out for walk(she's 4 years older than me,but we get along great).It's was pretty warm so we left far,met another friend and you know.When we finally decided to go back we noticed that HUGE dog and of course he started following us.I can't explain how frightened we were.We were going really slow(what if we run and he thinks we're playing with him?).Than suddenly some old woman shows up and like she'll help us to get back.I don't have to mention how crazy was the grandma when she left us and run home to check her chickens.
    Anyway it ended good we came home alive.
    Few days later(it was Thursday)I was in my room when I heard shoots outside.I run to windows looked around and realized that dog who followed us is lying on the ground(vets),dead.I love animals and of course I was sorry.
    That night i went to bed as usually.But I had weird dream. First it was stupid(can't remember what really) and than it changed.I was standing on the street and it was night.Only one dog was in front of me.Now this will sound stupid but - he gave me his bloody paws and disappeared.
    I woke up,I jumped like crazy.And that's it
    You can not to believe me,you can call it stupid(I think it's stupid)

P.S.Sorry If I made some mistakes - English isn't my first language
    Business Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 01:47 PM

Some very strange 'stuff' there for sure.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2009, 03:06 PM

I was never comfortable in my husbands house,it was an old farm house,loads of character but a creepy feeling about it... I never saw anything,but one evening we were all in the kitchen,and my daughter then 2 was running up and down.. the door to the sitting room was open,no one was in there... she suddendly stopped and called me... she was pointing into the sitting room and said "look a lady".the chills that sent up my spine,no good feeling at all.

Things were quite for a while until one night I heard my other daughter crying, I went into see what was wrong and she said 'lady tried to take me'.. I put it down to a dream,settled her and when to bed.

A few days later,my then husband was going through some photos and was showing the kids pictures of his family... my daughter pointed to a picture and said 'the lady the lady'.. it was his grandmother,

She had been dead for 30 years.
    Business Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 03:15 PM

Now that would get my immediate attention Red... good one hon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan and light turns on by themselves. Spooky [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I'm freaking out a bit. My ceiling light and fan comes on in the middle of the night ALL BY THEMSELVES! Some times it's the fan (going FULL speed) and some times it's the light (light or bright). Last night was the super bright light that woke my husband and me. He is more practical then...

Magnetic Spooky Tower Ball Run [ 2 Answers ]

My friend had this toy when we were kids in the 80s but neither he nor I are able to remember the name of it now. It was a haunted tower with a magnetic silver ball, a little smaller than a pinball, and the idea was to guide the ball through the tower using magnets. There was an elevator,...

This is getting spooky ! [ 18 Answers ]

I read a post here about a year ago regarding the paranormal significance of ll:ll showing up several times under different circumstances, i.e. looking at the clock and it reads ll:ll, maybe every time you look at the clock, be it am or pm. Or the date coming up ll:ll while you are reading a book....

Modifying a HPS ballast, spooky! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi chaps, I have a 400W Metal Halide bulb and ballast. The bulb socket is permanantly attached to the end of the ballast and the unit is designed to hang vertically from the opposite end of the ballast. I would like to separate the ballast from the bulb by two meters. I have opened the ballast...

View more questions Search