Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Being sued by Capital One
    I got served a summons by a law firm representing Capital One a couple of weeks ago. It was filed in court on Oct 5, 2009. Back in 1994 I was a victim of identity theft and have been dealing with it ever since. I have filed affidavits; I have submitted my police reports and affidavits to credit bureaus and credit companies claiming that I owe them.
    When I got served this time, I went and looked at my credit report. Capital One is not even on my credit report for the amount that they are clamming that I owe. On a current copy of my credit report that I pulled last week there is a Capital One account for 200.00 or so that I paid off and closed out and it was in good standing. Capital One is trying to sue me for 15,000.00. Now, I am not mathematician but there is a discrepancy there, the account numbers don’t even match up. My court date is this Friday
    Should I simply take:
    1. Affidavits that I have filled in the past
    2. My credit report
    3. Police reports
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 09:28 AM

Capitol one seems to be trying to colllect a lot of old debt now, maybe some not necessarily belonging to them. Could be the law firm has bought the debt, maybe a few times removed, and accidents happen. As you ay, you doubt it is yours. If so, you need to go and prove that it is not if you can. It is too bad these things must be so time consuming.

Yes, take your affadavits your credit report and anything else you feel will give you a strong case and most definitely payment proofs if you still have them.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 02:49 PM

I certainly would take my files/proof to Court but you also have to submit an answer, the answer being that this is NOT your debt. Also require CapOne to PROVE it IS your debt.

If all you do is show up to argue the validity, I predict the Court is not going to rule in your favor. You MUST submit a response and demand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I saw an article about Capital one being sued. [ 2 Answers ]

I saw an article about lawsuit on "Capital One admitting to third party collector is handling account though lawsuit names them as plaintiff". How could I find out if the lawsuit being ffiled against me is Capital One or a third party collector?

Being sued by Capital one tried to negotiate hearing this week [ 1 Answers ]

How do I handle this? I've been trying to negotiate with the collection firm that represents Capital One. Each time I'm told we have an agreement they either change the terms or dodge the calls. Now there is a hearing this week. I'm out of options and I don't know what to do. I lost my job....

Being sued by Capital One for Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued by a law firm representing Capital One for a 500 dollar credit card debt. I plan on fighting this in court but my question is.. Attached with their complaint they had a copy of my last statement and an attached contract. The contract is generic it is from 2006 I originally...

Sued by Capital One [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to the site and I have read previous questions and ans. Concerning being sued by credit card co. but I am still confused about what I need to do. My situation is rather confusing, and I am sure it will appear unbelievable when I present it to anyone. A couple of weeks ago I was...

Being sued by capital one for credit cards [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued my capital one in small claims court. What do I do. I don't make that much money and I wanted to know can they garnish my wages. Also they left the summons on the door step can the summons person just leave that on the door step I know for a fact it has to be put in your hand:eek:

View more questions Search