Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 19, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Cat has a Plastic Fetish
    Is it normal for a cat (siamese) to have a fetish for plastic?

My sister in law has had a siamese kitten now for 3 months

She has an enormous desire to chew on plastic, whether it be the plastic wrapping you get on products, duct tape, or even the plastic cap on laces

Her favourite toy is a piece of duct tape rolled lengthways and folded over itself

To the point where she now brings me the tape and sits there waiting for me to throw it

When I throw it for her, instead of normal cats playing with it by themselves, she brings it back

This is continuous - a game of fetch with a cat, I have seen the You tube vids showing this with other cats, but never thought I would see a cat do it with my own eyes

So is it normal or even healthy for a cat to chew plastic?

And if not how do you stop her from doing it?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Hi, phlanx!

I'm no expert on this, but based upon my own cat and comments from others about cats, I would say that it's common for cats of various breeds, to have a fetish for plastics. Mine is constantly rubbing himself against and chewing on plastic bags.

I've also heard that some cats can definitely have a "thing" for rubber-backed rugs.

Thanks!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

One of our cats Hefty is obsessed with plastic. He will happily just sit there and lick it for hours. I thoguht he was the only one.

Good to know my cats not the only odd ball. ;)
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Hi, Silverfoxkit!

To me, what would be really interesting to find out, would be why they can have a "thing" for plastic!

Perhaps someone here might know...

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009, 01:33 PM

Evening Clough,

So in essence then, the cure for the mountains of plastic man produces is to unleash a pack of hungary cats :)

Now if that isn't lateral thinking I don't know what is :)

As clough states, I would love to know why myself, as the only reason I can assume is they like the roughness/brush effect on their teeth, but if there are any vets out there who know specifically, please share
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:53 PM

My cat has a plastic fetish but he is allergic to plastic!! As soon as he see's plastic he starts to chew but gets HUGE bumps on his face around his mouth. So now it is a consent job of making sure there is no plastic anywhere.

But both of my cats fetch toy mice. And they bring them into our bed and sleep with them. I wake up with cat toys all over our bed.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Does anyone think that this type of fetish might depend on the breed of the cat?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009, 02:12 PM

I do think that siamese cats are the ones who have issues with life.

Most the cats I have had over the years, or should I say the cats who have owned me, have been a mix match, but I did have two brother cats who were half siamese

Both loved to catch things, one would catch mice and come and play with it in the living room (delightful thing), the other would wait till dark and go outisde the house windows and catch moths, bring them into the house and wait for one of us to kill it so he could eat it, give a little meow and then head off out for another

It was better than telly at night watching a cat leap up past the window time and time again

But I have to say Clough, Siamese cats seem to be the breed that demonstrates numerous mental problems, so I would be willing to bet that certain breeds have certain fetishes
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Yeah, I definitely agree that Siamese cats can have some mental issues! But, that's just because of my experiences with them.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009, 02:38 PM

I have often thought, when you stare at a cat after it has done something incredibly stupid, the cat is starring back thinking,

"You think I am mad, you should see what I see Monkey Boy" :)
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:42 PM
    You foolish human! What do you know? I can find water when you have know idea where to search. I can ingest things into my body that would make you sick if you did so, but they have no effect on me.

Also, how's your night vision human, as well as your ability to right yourself and land safely, if dropped from a great distance?

Thanks!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:43 PM

I think just about all cats like plastic. They like the crinkling sound. My cat licks plastic bags.

They like paper bags too, because of the noise.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Hi, ohsohappy!

Okay, I can agree that maybe a noise might be an attraction. But, what about those that seem to have an affinity for relieving themselves on rubber-backed throw rugs, please?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009, 03:01 PM

When we were kids, one of my sisters had a cat that loved to go to sleep on newspaper, this we put down to the fact that when he was born, his basket was fall of newspaper, so it's a familarity that promotes a certain attraction to materials

But where in the heck does plastic come into play?

My sister in laws cat can be as snug as a bug in a rug, but as soon as you start ripping duct tape, the thing goes mental (full moon or not) and starts hopping around you - and yes like a cat on a hot tin roof - sorry :)

I just can't figure out where the association of familarity comes from with plastic
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 19, 2009, 03:39 PM

I don't think my cat cares about the sound. He licks any plastic whether on not it makes noise and he doesn't care for paper. I think he may just like the way it feels on his tongue.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:25 AM

I don't think this has anything at all to do with breed. I've never had a Siamese, but I've had several cats who have a thing about plastic, foil and similar stuff. One of my current cats is like that, the other one is not. The one who is like that is your basic American shorthair tabby. I had another cat who had a really big hangup on snack bags, like potato chip bags and such. He'd chew and lick it.

Overall, it appears pretty common. People always seem to think their cat is unusual or something... but cats are just weird, that's all there is to it. Being abnormal is normal for a cat. :p
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Oct 20, 2009, 09:26 AM

I also think it has nothing to do with the breed. I have a ragdoll. He will lick any plastic he can get too. Whether it be a plastic sack or a pack of toilet paper. I have found, however that he does it more around the time that I usually feed him. When I get up in the morning, he follows me to the bathroom and licks the pack of toilet paper if its on the floor. At night he'll find any plastic he can get his paws on and drives me crazy until I feed him. Full stomach... no more plastic.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 01:59 PM

Wow nice observation.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tany072075 View Post
    I also think it has nothing to do with the breed. I have a ragdoll. He will lick any plastic he can get too. Whether it be a plastic sack or a pack of toilet paper. I have found, however that he does it more around the time that I usually feed him. When I get up in the morning, he follows me to the bathroom and licks the pack of toilet paper if its on the floor. At nite he'll find any plastic he can get his paws on and drives me crazy til I feed him. Full stomach......no more plastic.
    Now there's a thought!

Do you feed your cat out of a plastic dish?
    Maybe they have associated plastic with food?
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Now there's a thought!

Do you feed your cat out of a plastic dish?
    Maybe they have associated plastic with food?
    Excellent thought there about the possible association with a plastic food dish, shazamataz!

My cat usually only shows an interest in plastic bags of any kind in the morning before feeding.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my boyfriend have a fetish or is he gay ? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi... I have been with my boyfriend now for 8 months . We broke up like 2 weeks ago and then he called me back crying telling me that he loves me and that he wanted to make it work . So I gave him another try . I feel uneasy about it . The sex has always been great ! He wants me all of the time......

Fetish necklace [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a couple of pics, thanks

What to do about husbands fetish? [ 6 Answers ]

About a month ago I found out that my husband of 5 years had cheated on me. We have decided to try to work past it, the affair is over and he is in therapy now to figure out why he had the affair in the first place. The affair goes against his own morals and values and he is disgusted with himself...

What to do when you have a fetish? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a fetish that I don't really know how to address. But the fetish is really cramping my style. I want to be a normal college girl. Date guys. Maybe mess around on occasions. Gush about how cute that guy is over there. But I'm just not attracted to the type of guy that the rest of the...

View more questions Search