Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courtnie10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Wanting to leave husband and go to diff state w/daughter
    Hello. I have been married for 3 years, and have been separated for a little over 4 months now. I currently reside in MA with my 19 month old daughter. My husband/her father is stationed in CA. I am currently in CA visiting him with our daughter. However, I am wanting to go back home with her (MA is where we are both from and where both families are). He is telling me that I can not leave with her. He has been extremely verbally abusive to me the past few days, and quite frankly I am scared being here. I am wondering if I were to get a plane ticket and find a way to the airport if he could claim I "kidnapped" our daughter, even though she has been with me the whole time, and we have been living in MA. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get back to MA I am filing for divorce. I had to wait to file to get an official copy of marriage cert. thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 12:55 PM

What is your legal residence? How long were you in MA?

If you are legally separated this should be covered in your separation agreement. If you are informally separated - you are "here" and he is "there" - you cannot simply pack up your child and leave. He, as the father, has the same rights you, as the mother have, and he couldn't pack up the child and leave the State.

You need an Attorney - now.

If you are allowed to file for divorce in MA you must have established residency there - ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 01:02 PM

From the sounds of what your saying the answer is yes you can leave. How long have you been " just visiting " ?

From what Im reading he is in the service and your out in Calif seeing him ? If that is correct then you already have a home state. Both of you do regardless of where he is stationed.

Oct 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
    I have been here visiting for 2 weeks. I want to leave ASAP. I am just afraid he might claim I kidnapped her?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by courtnie10 View Post
    i have been here visiting for 2 weeks. i want to leave ASAP. i am just afraid he might claim i kidnapped her?

Please read my answer and answer my questions - it is impossible to advise you without additional info so as what is your LEGAL residence. What State?

Unless you are LEGALLY SEPARATED he has the same rights to the child that you have. I can't decide if you lived in California, established residency, went to MA, visited in CA, what the situation is.

If your husband is smart, now that you've told him of your plans, he will file for an Order to keep you from leaving with the child.

YOU NEED TO TALK TO AN ATTORNEY!

If you leave and get dragged back by the Courts it will be an unpleasant and expensive experience!

Oct 16, 2009, 02:08 PM
    My legal state of residence is MA. I have never lived in CA. there is no "legal separation" in MA, either.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2009, 04:13 PM

What happened in the separation? Did he move out or was he redeployed and you didn't accompany him?

Without knowing what went on there its hard to advise you. But my gut feeling is that you are just visiting and the child is in your custody and you can go home again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I leave state with my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my daughters father share joint custody with primary placement with me he gets her two days a week. The rest with me. I want to leave the state of New York to go to Oklahoma what would I have to do do to be able to do this. There is no agreement that I cant.:confused::confused:

Wanting to leave the state after divorce in VA [ 10 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 4 years. My X husband lives with his parents. Whom watch my children when I have to work or go to college. He does not work, does not pay child support. Is in and out of jail. I have recently lost my job and gone back to college. When it is over I want to move from VA to...

Single mother wanting to take 10 month old daughter out of state for a month [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother who has joint custody of my 10 month old daughter it is not court ordered but she has lived with me only since she was born her dad pays child support and sees her for a few hours once a week, so I pretty much have full custody just not through the courts. I would like my...

Probation transfer to diff State [ 1 Answers ]

I have received 5 yrs probation for a possession charge(2nd degree felony) in May 2004. I've gone to court in July 2006 for early termination because I was planning to join the U.S Army. The judge granted the motion for early termination of probation, but with conditions that I enlisted into the...

Wanting to file for divorce and leave state [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Arkansas in June 2006 and have lived with my spouse in Memphis as Tennessee resident since then. Due to irreconcilable differences, I have decided to file for divorce. I also plan to move back to California within the next few weeks. I have very-little money of my own and I...

View more questions Search