Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrblue23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Why is my upstair shower leaking?
    We just noticed that our upstair shower is leaking. It happens when we are using the shower.. it seems like is all the water is running out to the next floor. Please help us!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Hi, rrblue23!

By "next floor" I'm assuming that you mean a room that is below the bathroom. Correct?

Please describe the type of shower enclosure that you have. For instance: single stall, shower in a bath tub, tiled walls, glass walls, one solid unit on the walls, etc.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Sooner or later you're going to hafta open up the ceiling and locate the source of the leak. Is it leaking from the drain seal, the trap or has the grout shrunk allowing water to leak past the shower pan? You're not going to know until you look. Regards, Tom
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Hi, speedball1!

But, what about tiles that are coming loose or poorly sealed on a wall, please?

I had that problem a long time ago. Water was leaking into the room under the shower and the only thing holding the tiles in was the tiles themselves because whatever they had been attached to originally, had disintegrated.

Thanks!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 04:10 PM

I think Tom is correct on this one, you are going to have to open up the ceiling below shower to locat source of leak. Whether it be shower walls, or shower base, best way to see is open ceiling,, one other thought, if you have an access panel to fuacet on back side of shower, you can look in there to see if you see source of leak. Good luck and please let us know what you find. Lee.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 05:31 PM

Pull the escutcheon around the shower arm away from the wall and look inside for signs of water. Then remove the handles and trim around the shower valve and look for signs of water there. Do you have an access hole on the other side of the wall from the valve? If so look in there for signs of water. If you find no signs of water, pour about 5 gallons of water from a bucket (don't use the shower head) down the drain and watch for water coming out of the ceiling below.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 06:40 PM

Good call Harold.
    rrblue23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, rrblue23!

By "next floor" I'm assuming that you mean a room that is below the bathroom. Correct?

Please describe the type of shower enclosure that you have. For instance: single stall, shower in a bath tub, tiled walls, glass walls, one solid unit on the walls, etc.

Thanks!
    Hi!
    Yes your correct.. I meant to say the water is going down to the next floor.. we have a fiberglass bathtub/shower with tiled walls, and mixet hardware. I'm so scared it will be a big project. What do you think? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cold water doesn't work in my upstair shower [ 2 Answers ]

My cold water doesn't run in my upstairs shower. The sink and toilet has cold water but my shower doesn't. Help!

Tub, Sink, Shower Leak from upstair to downstair ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am the homeowner of at 20 year old townhouse that leaks whenever water from the shower, sink, or tub is turned on in either of the 2 upstairs bathrooms. I have had all the tub drain components and shower heads replaced, but there is still a leak. The leak has left a water stain on the...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

View more questions Search